Calling All Orange C16R Owners

sylus":2vkbx11i said:
Jussa":2vkbx11i said:
Ok, spent this evening with my 1996/97 Orange C16R.

Your recently married..you sure the c16r was the best option? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

She's out saving lives around Norfolk on the Ambulances, so a night in with my other girls ;)

Jussa":sbke9ku6 said:
Ok, spent this evening with my 1996/97 Orange C16R, Removed Original Seatpost & Shim to confirm size.
Original Seatpost = 26.4
Fitted NOS Orange Seatpost without Shim = 29.8
Clamp re-fitted and perfect fit all round :D
Hopefully that should solve the Seatpost issue, I'm guessing the Tech Spec on Orange's website is incorrect but the information in the catalogue is spot on correct.
OK, but maybe we shouldn't be too axiomatic. Mine takes a 29.6 nicely and on the other side several of my Konas take 27.2, even though Kona specified 27.0 in every case. Some of my other Konas really do only take a 27.0, even when they have the same seat post as another one that takes 27.2. I don't know how precise the reaming process is, but I assume that it isn't so precise that it always gives the same outcome down to 0.1mm.

One thing is for sure though, that I'm certain you should always use the biggest post that fits, even if the maker didn't specify it. I don't think it's wise to put the entire strain just on the area around the clamp, and if you have to distort the slot to make the clamp hold, you're setting up a potential crack.

I've always been a fan of putting the biggest, tightest fitting thing in a hole..other wise it's like waving a wand in a cave

No activity here for a bit, so I thought I'd just add the latest updates to my daughters C16R.

I bolted the bits on, but the ideas and colour scheme are all hers.

The C16R, known as James is now running SRAM 2 X 10 in the guise of X9 and Truvativ chainset, Avid SD7 V-brakes, Easton Bars, Charge seatpost and saddle, Hope / Mavic F&R wheels (which was fun matching the grey rims), and recently fitted with the excellent Kenda Nervegal tyres, oh yes and a set of Pace RC35 forks with suitably soft elastomers (thanks to Tim at Fork English).

We tackled the red run at Haldon near Exeter a few weeks ago, which was a great shakedown run, where I managed to destroy an M900 XTR rear mech :evil: and James shrugged the whole thing off as easy-peasy.

Anyway, James:

DSCN0058_zps543b09f2.jpg

DSCN0067_zpse80a9691.jpg

Kt doing her 'moody girlie cyclist' bit in Leigh Woods.
DSCN0025_zpsf14374f3.jpg

And 'happy girlie cyclist' in Ashton Hill Plantation
DSCN0056_zpsb22fe3e7.jpg

i accidentally built up a retrobike. really, i just wanted a rigid framed mtb to cart the new daughter around on.

8437561411_a362e0a1e4_z.jpg

Absolutely.

I have to say, the more I look at it, the better it gets; that really is a very neat and clean build.

Need to shorten rear brake cable and run in other side of the seatpost, as well as a few other minor changes. But thank you, more luck than judgement.

Back