Black skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother is half Afro Caribbean (which makes me quarter so). She is 64 and without a wrinkle.

This is a strange thread, but more in way the people accusing others to be ignorant are clearly the ignorant ones.

The word black is only racist when used to cause offence. It can be descriptive as you would identify someone by hair colour, height, size, prettiness, etc, etc.

Afro Caribbean is descriptive since the Caribbean itself is an area of many races including Hispanic, white European, Chinese, and lets not forget the indigenous folk of course. The Afro Caribbean are the descendants of African slaves brought to the islands by europeans. It is identity.

It is understandable that some words and terms are unpleasant, but that is mostly because they have been over used in the derogatory context. The words black and Afro Caribbean are far from being racist, but it is really sad that over political correctness will make them so.

I've been called lots of names due to the colour of my skin. Mostly all of them are so far off the mark it's laughable. I know the difference between a description and a racial slur. It's a real same that some morons on here can't and are only looking for another reason to try and take the moral high ground. Saddoes!

highlandsflyer":yaxy9pa3 said:
This thread does demonstrate the level of ignorance knocking around about what is and what is not offensive
This thread does demonstrate the level of ignorance knocking around about what some people consider what is and what is not offensive.

highlandsflyer":yaxy9pa3 said:
Let us not pretend the term is never use pejoratively.
Don't think anyone did.

sinky":yaxy9pa3 said:
I know the difference between a description and a racial slur. It's a real same that some morons on here can't and are only looking for another reason to try and take the moral high ground. Saddoes!
This. Context is everything.

Afro caribbean = decending from africa !.......just afro is slang for a hair style !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Caribbean

It's kind of sad that a few on here are waiting like vultures to pick and twist something as soon as they can and try and find alturnative meanings in things.

Black people refer to themselves as black too and it is used on many current forms about ethnic back ground.

I could bite, but that's what a very few of you want me to do, so I won't.

(Thanks to the other people who see this for what it is and nothing more)

You know Sinky being black , or mixed heritage doesn't excuse ignorance , and your chosen continued use of the word afro doesnt make it non offensive. Its still a hair do. It makes me laugh that you feel your skin colour makes you feel you are able to continue using the term without it being offensive . Perhaps historically , it was a term considered acceptable,but not any longer i'm afraid. there are many many other examples of this.

you know if the question asked had been , i met this woman today she looked really young for her age do you think her genetic makeup would have something to do with it? it wouldnt have really got off the ground, other than ermm yes.

or do you think melanin provides protection from the sun?, again ermm yes

It the unquestioned motivation for this thread, the promoting of "otherness" which i find so offensive , the oooh lets have a cosy chat amongst white folk, approach that is used.

Afro is a hairdo , go ask a black person if they are an afro??

and its not political correctness you idiot, language and terminology is fluid and evolves, it is necessary it does so as it picks up derogatory connotations on the way. If you dont get it what i'm saying , as an example for you ,the N word was once considered acceptable .

oh Greenstiles will be rubbing his hands together with glee right now

you know greenstiles, wikipedia is written by idiots, if thats the extent of your research you are an idiot too, but then i knew that.

see any normal person would say, oh my goodness is the term offensive that was not my intention, oh i didnt know i shall go back and change it , but oh no not you. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back