1988 Marin Palisades Trail

haha yeah I resized them to be 10x smaller than the original, but they are still really large. Sorry!

Re:

muppetman":o1mlrlrz said:
Nice......I had a black Bear Valley of exactly the same vintage with u-brake - one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

I've just finnished this one, the bike was given to me in a right mess, black tape all over the tubing, dent in top tube by a friend of my mums who had been widowed & was clearing out her husbands shed. She was going to scrap this! My mum told her I would do it up & she refused to take any money from me for the bike, so here she is, a few 'before' & a few 'after' shots.......

Alice11thBirthday063.jpg

Alice11thBirthday065.jpg

Alice11thBirthday056.jpg

MarinBearValley010_zps00c67b24.jpg

MarinBearValley012_zps3908b023.jpg

MarinBearValley004_zps161ecde4.jpg

MarinBearValley003_zps78375825.jpg

MarinBearValley011_zpsfb355c61.jpg

MarinBearValley022_zpsbf97bd35.jpg

MarinBearValley015_zpsf79ff723.jpg

MarinBearValley002_zps3448ab8b.jpg

MarinBearValley001_zps2254fb49.jpg

Was this the same as your old Marin BV from back in the day Muppetman? As I thought origionally she was a 1988 but I now think she maybe a 1986?? Anyone any thoughts on the year, would be appreciated.

Very nice bv there, cleaned up beautifully. Shame about the top tube, but adds character I guess.

Interesting mix of parts too. Some retro upgrades/replacements by the look

@ alwinz, 150 bucks seems like a fair price, sure you could get more if you advertise it, but if you're not fussed about that old bike then you might as well move it on at college, rather than get into all the postage malarkey.

From my research into pre '89 Marins the louvred Marin Decal came in '88 and also the chainstay U-brake was generally only around for '88. The '89 Marins went back to cantis and all the really old Marins I've seen which are possibly '86/'87 also have cantis.
So you were probably right with dating it as an '88.

Thanks for the information! Heres the other thing, is it worth keeping to wait until it gains more value? Or is it just a nice old bike?

alwinz":3sja3hv7 said:
Thanks for the information! Heres the other thing, is it worth keeping to wait until it gains more value? Or is it just a nice old bike?

Honestly ...as it's entry level more or less.... It's unlikely to ever be worth more than it is now

Back to the original thread Marin ... I like that simpler look and for some reason for me is screaming out for some drop bars

One almost identical to the OPs sold just the other day, I was quite interested. Took me a minute to realise it wasn't a new post!

Back