1994 Rocky Mountain Altitude

RF Turbine LP's orange anodized or powder coat would look good matching with the decals.
Nice frame and am looking forward to this build

So how to proceed with this build? I'm not after building this bike completely catalogue spec, but period correct with the catalogue parts as inspiration is the way forward for me.

Having the Mag21 as a fork to me seems obvious, I have one lying around which should fit well, unless I run into a Mag21 SL Ti somewhere soon, this is the one to fit. I have a Syncros Ti seatpost and Ti bar available, think these will look nice on this frame. Together with a flite and a Cattlehead I think it will be pretty much as I want it.

Groupset is a bit of a dilemma. XTR M900 is the obvious choice, but I doubt if I should go for the shifter/lever combo. What about using XT thumbies and Diacompe levers? Furthermore I think I'm going to use M900 brakes and mechs (anyone has a top pull front mech?)

Another dilemma on the headset and cranks. Ideally, these are both raceface and both in the same colour as the seatpost clamp. I wonder if I can find these, but thanks to a very helpful forum member I might be able to switch to Gold to make the search a little easier. I wonder if I'm able to find an anodized gold or red RaceFace headset though...

P1010657.JPG

One nice thing about the Mathauser pads was they were so easy to identify when you needed to clean 'em.

Seriously, that's gonna rock!

Nice bits, I think the M900 brake levers are far far better than the DiaComp jobs though, especially with them canti's.
Just cut the shifters off if you don't want to use them (or find the rare thumbie converter bit)

Them MAG21's are practically SL, you have the SL steerer, the main bit.
Just some bolts, canti studs and of course the Magnesium increase flexiness silver brace. The black one works better.
That only the paint job.

Now I cannot see the post to check the pictures in this mobile skin, so cannot remember the wheels and little bits.
Black cable outers, or going for silver ?

Thanks FC, good to know the M900's should brake better than the Diacompe's.. Another dilemma. I'm not really keen on cutting the shifters off... Maybe I bump into a cheap set somewhere, and have it a try. From what I remember BITD, I never liked the M900 shifter/lever combos. Any other option for the brake lever?

As for the Mag21SL's, are there really any good ones left? I've looked around, most of them available at the moment are in bad shape... Wheels I haven't decided yet, same for if I run 7 or 8 speed. I have a great set of Mavic 261 rims on as new M730 hubs available, or I should go for an M900 wheelset. Outer cables, probably he XTR silver versions :)

Any interest in a Raceface mango threadless Real Seal headset for this build? It's slightly faded but still in fairly good condition.

RockiMtn":2oyqfp4k said:
Any interest in a Raceface mango threadless Real Seal headset for this build? It's slightly faded but still in fairly good condition.

That'be great! Is that the same colour as the seat collar?

i don't think it'll be an exact match… but i think it's something that would suit the frame.

Attachments

• DSC02871.JPG
    DSC02871.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 568
Back