Giant CFR Pro series - completed pics on pg3

elPedro666":3c0llvxy said:
vivelesalpes":3c0llvxy said:
Is this the bike you are going to use on the Gospel Pass ride ?

If so I look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

That's the plan, but I need to get some miles in in the meantime and hopefully a spin in the hills with drystonepaul, see if I'm up to it without holding the group back too much. Hoping I can get a full day out on Monday, see how that goes...

At least the Peak is a good training ground for this ride.

I'm hoping it's not going to be too fast too. I went out today and did 40 miles and was well off my Summer pace.

Not sure I have a 'pace' yet, just survival mode! :oops: You're right about the Peaks though, if anywhere's going to knock me into shape...!

Nice job. Seems to be a wild one! I agree with you, I would chose the bike that could potentially buck me off at 40mph over a dull lifeless safe one any day, a fork change in the future might be on the cards though!

Agree with others about the tyres, not an obvious choice but I think it's works on the bike.

Thanks Gav :) Don't think I've the heart to separate frame and forks so I'll just have to adapt or learn some restraint! :LOL:

mrlee's build (I'll let him unveil it ;) ) should be done this week if all goes to plan and Mr.K has offered to show me some pleasant local roads. dsp's also keen to rip my legs off I think... :LOL:

So I reckon a NW get together should be on the cards in the not too distant future, have you made any progress or still sleeping under your desk? :shock:

elPedro666":3gcrfyvt said:
Glad you mentioned the tape, I was waiting for someone to - you're all so polite on the dark side! I figured I wasn't likely to get the position right at first guess (and I didn't) so it was 99p and it isn't adhesive! That said it is comfy and it's kinda grown on me :oops:

Hehe, yes it seems you got away lightly, I got a bit of stick, here and on velospace about using splash tape. I have to agree though, it is comfy and planet x seem to have an endless supply for about a quid a go. Here's a pic below of my CFR3 before I sold it, it has an early carbon Time 'sprint' fork to deal with a bit of that flexy front end you're experiencing. Although I did really enjoy my CFR3 and was reluctant to sell I have to admit that compared to a good steel, or modern monocoque carbon frame it really was the flexiest frame I've ridden... I'd still have another if I had space though, on account of the 'dark ages of carbon' appeal that it seems you're also experiencing.

Anyway the finished article looks pretty good for what you've spent, I like your seat post a lot, is it 27.0mm or did you file out the seat cluster lug a bit? Your red and blue scheme looks good for the period the bike is from. It's cool that you're riding a Giant and it's rekindled your relationship with road riding. I've said on RB before that Giant are looked down on a bit by many bike connoisseurs, probably because of the mass production factor but they really are quality machines and seem to have lots of character when built with a bit of thought. Here's to you, your Giant and many happy miles to come :D

-Cadex_zps86077a35.jpg

I just noticed you use that funny gismo on the rear mech to run the cable through, I have one in my spares box from somewhere for some reason but never used it and am not really sure what it's for. Do you mind just explaining the purpose? I thought it might help when matching different shifters with cassettes, is that the case or did I dream that up?

Thanks for the kind words, I think folks must've gone easy on the tape as I'm a bit of a noob on this side of the forum :LOL:

I'm very intrigued to try some different frames now to compare the ride, I don't notice much wag when pedalling but maybe I'm just not pushing hard enough yet! Mostly it seems to be through the front, all part of the fun though...

The Woodman post is 27.2, which is what I expected to need (can't remember why now, mombat maybe), 27.0 was very loose, couldn't have used one for fear of cracking the lug, but I did have to remove (file) a lip from inside the seat lug to get a smooth fit, about an inch below the top on the front side :? Didn't remove any other material though and it's a good fit now.

The Rollamajig on the rear mech just cuts out the final loop of cable for a smoother run, necessary in this case for the horrible bindy cables I've used. Not the neatest look I'll be first to admit .. nice colour match though :oops: Incidentally, if you don't want your's I love them for mountain bikes, happy to take it off your hands! ;) I think there may well be eccentric versions to alter cable pull (certainly are for brakes) but these are just round.

Easy_Rider":3eybkk3h said:
If you want to ride a flexy bike then you must try my vitus sometime!

I'd love to! :LOL: Maybe that's why I hadn't really considered it over flexy - until we got some speed up - growing up racing an Alan...

No knew developments, I'm just staring at it in the glorious sunshine and wishing I wasn't too ill to go for a ride, gutted! :cry:

Back