1993 Kona Kilauea - fork choice advice needed.

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, here is my wonderful 1993 Kilauea, acquired for the princely sum of $450 CAD. As you can see it does not have the colour-to-silver fade paint shown in the catalogue on Kona Retro (more on that in another thread), otherwise it is exactly as specified in the catalogue with the exception of the grips and levers - both are Ritchey, and are period correct but may have been an at-purchase upgrade by the original (and only before me) owner, and the tires, which are seriously period incorrect Kona Break and Enters. The bike was bought May 19th 1993 for the princely sum of $1322.50 CAD. As the bike is in almost new condition I figure I got a pretty good deal! I don't plan to alter this time travelling beauty too much, green chill pills instead of the stock D-C hangers and maybe a set of green salsa flip-offs, a friend at work has a set of Mavic/m950 XTR wheels, that would allow mw to run 8 cogs at the back with no other changes, but unless I can get him to take installments I won't be buying them anytime soon (also they probably weigh more than the stock Kona 399/LX wheelset).

So here it is; 24.9 pounds of classic 1990s steel!

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

:D

M900 XTR will give a more suitable (age wise) 8 speed setup, the 93 Explosif came with M900 rear running 8 speed as standard.

Lovely, the bar setup looks perfect, reminds me of how much I used to love my Ritchey levers, they feel just right in your hand.

Geoff":2ql6aa4c said:
That is outrageously clean!

Edit: Any idea what the story is with the paint?
Bez = Stewart Pratt says he thinks the single-colour range was used in North America for at least the first part of the 93 model year. Seems amazing though that we haven't seen any other examples of that range for sale anywhere, so I still think this bike is quite rare. As well as being superb in its own right.

Wait till you see the 93 catalogue that Mechagouki has very kindly given me a sneak preview of - it could be the best catalogue they ever put out I reckon.

Liking this loads :cool: '93 was one of my fave' years for Kona. You've got yourself a real nice bike... a bit different to the normal silver & red ;)

Back