SPDs... Am I really missing out?

Flats for playing, SPDs for riding. Mainly XC, get used to them and you'll love em.

I personally like crank bros pedals.

SPDs are better for nearly everything when you get used to them. You learn to descend feet up, your climbing improves, can help bunnyhopping...Mostly pros. I do run mag Wellgo flats and Teva Links shoes currently on my AM bike but thats more laziness and I do miss SPDs on the climbs. While they take a little getting used to over flats, they are infinitely safer and easier to use than clips and straps.

BTW the plastic 'platforms' with those pedals are NOT designed for anything more than bike fits and casual carpark testrides, in fact their main purpose is as a mount for reflectors in markets that demand it. I would not endorse riding on them. They also appear to be new bike pull-offs and practically as costly as they are new in box in any shop.

Thanks for the pointers. Platforms would only be used for a quick ride round the block with the kids if at all.

Modern Shimano SPD have adjustable tension and you can get multi-direction release cleats. This setup means you can't really pull on the upstroke as some have described but it does mean much more confidence in unclipping for those of us who are scared of the 'locked on' feeling. The stiff sole on the shoe and direct contact to a small pedal area really helps with pedalling even without pulling on the upstroke.

Ive never made the leap though I've done eclectic riding and not stuck with XC so my AM bike, my play 24 er and the others are all flats. The SS and commuter are clips straps. And the fixed gear MTB I went for plastic BMX pedals and horizontal foot straps like the cool kats use. My mate has suggested crank bros to me so maybe ill have a go for XC and road...

ChrisR":2il9mprv said:
Thanks for the pointers. Platforms would only be used for a quick ride round the block with the kids if at all.

I doubt they'd last that long! Shimano also have a pedal with a bit of a cage to it, for nipping about on they'd be fine (I'd imagine, I have Crank Brothers Mallets, similar design).

EDIT: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-PD-M4 ... 3f128dc3da

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just been chatting it through with SWMBO and as she said it makes no difference to put spd shoes on instead of trainers to go round the block or whatever with the kids.

Think I'll go with the m520 pedals, just need to find some suitable footwear.

I tried SPDs but ended up going back to flats with toe clips and straps. Despite a lot of messing about I just couldn't find a position in which my feet were comfortable - maybe I just like to move my feet around a bit on the pedals.

Also, if you buy Shimano shoes, buy them a half or a whole size bigger than you usually take as I found that they tend to be bit small.

I can see the benefits, but for me it's flats all the way. But a lot of my riding is focused around mucking about and the gravity side of things, for which I feel safer not being clipped in.

When I first got into cycling I made the jump pretty quickly and loved them, but my riding was more XC focused. Most of mates did the same but ran he original DX SPD's and canvas shoes. I was always much happier with my full on XC shoes and tiny pedals.

They're definitely faster over certain terrain and I'm now clipped in again on the road bike.

i've done the opposite, it used to be about mucking about, jumps, dual slalom (as it was). Now more XC based and i can really start to see the advantages of being clipped on.

Back