Can you question peoples religion

522888_368125136601789_689805539_n.jpg

Jamie

Pyro Tim":3q1rvxi8 said:
old_coyote_pedaller":3q1rvxi8 said:
But Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus, the son of God,

No it isn't. It's the pagan festival of the return of the the light. Celebrating the midwinter solstice. Ok, they were out by a few days. Christianity, like all religions took over the festivals of their predecessors. Easter, the Spring festival of Ēostre. Celebrating rebirth, and spring. Why do you think we have eggs and bunnies? It's how religions assimilate to take over.

And a lot of churches are but on ancient pagan sites.

Ahh but do you know why the Mistletoe ?

Pyro Tim":yt07chmo said:
Easter, the Spring festival of Ēostre. Celebrating rebirth, and spring. Why do you think we have eggs and bunnies?

On a pedantic note, the Easter Bunny should technically be a hare rather than a rabbit, as per the old Pagan symbolism.

David

Retro Cat":v7lq30w6 said:
http://www.truthbeknown.com/mithra.htm

Better spin doctors indeed...

Apparently the original Temple (built by the Romans) which gives its name to said station on the London Underground* was dedicated to him.

David

*Having posted "Temple", please note that anyone following that up with "Swiss Cottage" will have commited an illegal move and has to miss a go. ;)

ps, I'm a member of the 'brights society' so no fence sitting. Although I think you should respect peoples rights to believe in a religion, I don't belive people have the right to use religion in one of these ways......... to kill , harm, or hate others............oh which is most devout followers of most big religions.......oh well :roll:

Religion was probably born from mans inability to understand that we are more than likely all here by accident and the fact that human nature is such that we are always looking for what comes next.This is a good thing as without that curiosity then we would all be living in caves.
I have spoke to many Christians who have turned to God because of some particular tragedy,which in all fairness,helps them to get on with their lives and possibly makes them better people.For them thats great and Im happy for them,the problems come when people have a complete inability to see anothers point of view,which sadly seems to be neccesary with alot of religious people.Ironically,with the Christian faith in particular ,the actual message of that faith teaches the complete opposite.

Back