Sunn xchox gp

philpheasant

Dirt Disciple
About 18 months ago I was lucky enough to be given an old sunn xchox gp.
img1476ss6.jpg

It should of looked the the photo above, but had been abused, the forks were a cheap set of yellow suntours, and a wheel was missing. So I took it apart (forgot to take pics before doing this) and vowed to rebuild/update the bike.
IMAG0207_zps23e8544f.jpg

The frame (above) was in pretty good nick apart from some wear marks, and a couple of worn bushes, so off it went to the powder coaters, along with the swing arms and some other bike bits, for a change of colour (below)
IMAG0212_zps88c810cc.jpg

IMAG0251_zps43b0428d.jpg

I picked up a set of forks for another project that were sprayed white, then sat in the garage for 2 years, so will be fitting these. Am changing the groupset to shimano, with a clarks mechanical disc on the front an lx v-brakes in the rear. More updates to follow ;)

Interesting. This will be the third of these I've ever seen, including my own and one on a train in France.

Only one I've ever seen, and still waiting for some bits for it. Trying to get info out of sunn appears to be like getting blood from a stone!

A small update, have loosely put the rear together as awaiting new stainless bolts and an answer from sunn regarding new nylon bushings. Have started to run the cables, and have a small issue with the rear brake. The Halo combat rim would appear to be too wide for the lx v-brakes.
IMAG0344_zps478106a0.jpg

IMAG0368_zps22759e14.jpg

Too be honest this has taken a back seat due to getting my work hack, and cruiser style bikes sorted
IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

Need to take the sunn to my lbs to get the bottom bracket chased out properly, the old one was a nightmare to get out, looks as though it may have been cross threaded at some point in it's past :( Then just continue putting it together, thinking of a 2x9 setup as can't see me using it too much.

The new colour scheme on that Sunn looks really nice.

2x9 will get you up and down everything, apart from road work, you won't feel like you're missing anything.

Nearly there, a few little things to finish, still need a headtube badge
IMAG0369_zpsacfb046c.jpg

Windspeed bars/stem, deore shifters, xlc levers, skyway lock on grips, onza mongo3 headset
IMAG0376_zps9687a5f5.jpg

Obsys rear shock (new bushes courtesy of my old man who builds miniature steam engines) xlc clamp, windspeed post, carrera saddle
IMAG0373_zpsfa381f12.jpg

Suntour ??? forks, clarks mech caliper, airotor 160mm disc, gash skewer (will be replaced), weinmann front rim on promax hub
IMAG0375_zpse069eb4e.jpg

avid rear v brakes, halo combat complete rear wheel
IMAG0374_zps912a2201.jpg

Lx front mech (original),lx octalink bb, xt cranks with granny ring removed, biocleat combi pedals, sram pc971 chain
IMAG0371_zps7ee16b46.jpg

Lx 34/11 cassette, lx rear mech, wtb prowler mx 2.1 tryes, mucky nutz front and rear fenders
IMAG0372_zps3eb6bdf7.jpg

Back