Can you question peoples religion

I think it's terribly important that you do - one should always be careful to whom one gives there soul away to.

All Christians I know are from highly educated middle class, professional backgrounds I wonder if heaven has a tradesman's entrance?

Retro Cat":1ei2sdxt said:
I think it's terribly important that you do - one should always be careful to whom one gives there soul away to.

All Christians I know are from highly educated middle class, professional backgrounds I wonder if heaven has a tradesman's entrance?

us tradesmen made the entrances ;)

The person who wants to tell you about their religion, very rarely wants to hear about yours.

I think they are all just divisive ways of controlling the masses, and although all claim to be for the common good, probably do more harm.

However, I don not believe in any god, and yet do not and will not call myself atheist. To be an atheist acknowledges that there is a god not to believe in. I think its all a load of

daugs":jci7653y said:
do you mean religion or faith, and why ? are you unsure of your views or do you want to change theirs or something else ? I think people are frequently unsure of where you are coming from and hence asking questions probably makes them uncomfortable........

oh and that thing of not discussing religion and politics ? well the results are frequently seen...........

Funny as I said I was brought up Catholic and although I became atheist in my teens the force of religion of which I was subject still makes me feel that I am part of the true religion, how does one explain that?

Alison

As an atheist I've questioned the religious beliefs of those who claim to be of the Christian faith to their face, in some cases and on other forums via the internet. They always get upset by being asked for proof of the basis of their faith and that I shouldn't undermine their faith by questioning it. If they truly believe in what their religion is based on, the fact I don't believe a word of it should have no effect on their faith, it doesn't say much for their faith that it cannot withstand a few questions.

I stopped believing in a god around the same time as I stopped believing in Santa Claus. If adults could consistently lie about Santa :cry: couldn't they also be lying about a god? In fact there's more proof in the existence of Santa than there is in a god, as a child you could actually meet Santa and what about the presents on Christmas Day? The glass of sherry and shortbread for Santa, with carrots for his reindeer, were always gone on Christmas morning. He'd been there.
Then the doubts creep in, it can't be a lie, can it? But Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus, the son of God, so is that made up too?
Then it sinks in, it's all made up pish.

I don't dispute that Jesus existed, but the son of god? Nah. If someone turned up today claiming that to be true and just to believe him because he said so, he'd eventually be sectioned and be wearing a jacket with sleeves round the back. In fact the first people to attack him would be Christians because he'd be putting their faith into doubt.

Isaac_AG":1ore8yn9 said:
Funny as I said I was brought up Catholic and although I became atheist in my teens the force of religion of which I was subject still makes me feel that I am part of the true religion, how does one explain that?

I think you will find "Catholic guilt" is the google search term you are looking for.

Pre-google, Graham Greene made a literary career out of it.

Own personal take on religion (after a very protestant upbringing with church every Sunday till I was 15 when I threw the baby out with the bathwater) is that it would be best if everyone just minded their own bloody business.

old_coyote_pedaller":idtxe2qe said:
But Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus, the son of God,

No it isn't. It's the pagan festival of the return of the the light. Celebrating the midwinter solstice. Ok, they were out by a few days. Christianity, like all religions took over the festivals of their predecessors. Easter, the Spring festival of Ēostre. Celebrating rebirth, and spring. Why do you think we have eggs and bunnies? It's how religions assimilate to take over.

The beliefs you hold are indisputable but not irrevocable. It is as illogical to argue God does not exist as it is to argue for that notion. More important is to question why the question is being asked.

I have always had time for anyone who has the balls to turn up at my door wanting to talk about something they are passionate about. My resolve is not sorely tested by offering tea and biscuits, and I even ended up with an amazing relationship with a Jehovah's Witness thanks to being open to the conversation.

My current partner is an Evangelical Christian, and it has not come between us in any significant way. The kids have been brought up to respect people's views, whether or not they understand them.

I am not currently a 'believer', but I enjoy the atmosphere of the church.

So sue me!

Pyro Tim":1m3g2fch said:
old_coyote_pedaller":1m3g2fch said:
But Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Jesus, the son of God,

No it isn't. It's the pagan festival of the return of the the light. Celebrating the midwinter solstice. Ok, they were out by a few days. Christianity, like all religions took over the festivals of their predecessors. Easter, the Spring festival of Ēostre. Celebrating rebirth, and spring. Why do you think we have eggs and bunnies? It's how religions assimilate to take over.

Don't you think that I already know that? :xmas-big-grin:
Easter, another part of the con job.

Christians. The original spindoctors. :roll:

Back