do pedestrians need lights ?

basically i think everyone needs to stop walking, cycling and driving.

but on a serious note, i really think there is a massive lack of common sense among the human race in general, hence why police are policing these kinds of situations (albeit rather sporadically and inconsistently).
i mean, what kind of place do we live in where a government needs to pay people to tell someone to stop doing something thats a little bit silly/careless/inconsiderate.

do it, or dont do it - just dont hurt anyone.

as for pedestrians wearing lights, i'm pretty sure even as a cyclist, just because i have lights on, i can guarantee a run in with someone 9 commutes out of ten.

the more the human race keeps breeding, the more these kinds of problems will persist......:roll:

There are hardly any pavements around here, so the question of whether to ride on them or not rarely arises. I've not ridden on a pavement since I was about five years old and it's one of my pet hates, being expected to move out of the way of someone cycling on a pavement when I'm walking on it.(unless it's a very young child).
Basically, I just refuse to move so that they have to go on the road instead. BITD we were always told that pavements are for pedestrians.

ok so I'm not just getting intolerent in my old age, some interesting comments, I am relieved by the number of people who raise concerns where conflicts with pedestrians arise. My original post related to pedestrians on pavements given how the cyclists I saw were riding. When living in London it drove me mad when out walking with my young daughter that cyclists would still race past on the pavement. We lived on a one way street and there were frequent issues with cyclists taking a short cut cycling the wrong way down it, but lets not go there.

I appreciate what you are saying. Sorry if I came over a little dismissive.

Guess what we are talking about is people acting inconsiderately, wherever they are doing it.

I cycle at less than walking pace when there are sparse pedestrians, or dismount when there are more.

Personally I would be quite happy if the majority of pavements and canal paths, etc. were left unsigned for cycle use, so the cyclists that use them would have a tendency towards being more polite and less self righteous about tinging their damn bells and proceeding at twenty miles per hour.

By the same token I would like to see the majority of our inner city streets made pedestrian priority, with 15mph speed limits for cars.

highlandsflyer":1wedbqpl said:
Cyclists that use them would have a tendency towards being more polite and less self righteous about tinging their damn bells and proceeding at twenty miles per hour.

Near where I live there is a disused railway line, which is now a shared use (pedestrians, cyclists, horseists) right of way. Recently I was on my way back from a Sunday club ride, in company with two other people, and using a short stretch of this ROW.
Not only did the one in front have a bell ( and used it) but every time we got near pedestrians he shouted "cyclists on your right". After he'd done this twice I just dropped back and let them go. I can do without being associated with arrogant twats like that, and besides, I live near there.
They'd just dumped their cars there, as the ride started outside our house - they'd driven down from "the big city" as my father used to call Douglas.

I'm confused, what's the issue with the bell, or the additional warning. If its shared use, shouldn't he give warning?

gavinda":h7342v9a said:
I'm confused, what's the issue with the bell, or the additional warning. If its shared use, shouldn't he give warning?
Because he just rang his bell, shouted "cyclist on your right" and charged on through, rather than doing what I consider to be the more civilised alternative - namely slowing down and maybe moving over a bit to give the other people more room. I always at least say hello and thank you, too.

Ah, I see. Tool.

I tend to just rely on the bell myself, I find calling out can be a little surprising to people, unless they are completely in a world of thier own. I'd be to scared to charge on by someone but I suppose that's just inborn common sense.

Personally I just think that about 95% of the population in this country have turned into selfish, blind ignorant t***s, I ride a variety of surfaces including roads, towpaths and bridleways and to be totally honest the standard of behavior from most people is downright appalling , the idea of tolerance, sharing or just downright common courtesy is just non existant, yes I might sound like a grumpy old git but to be honest the youngsters seem to be the most tolerant users out there, and the best bit is it's not just the pedestrians as when I have to lower my rides to use the towpath (as I've had to recently due to the rather wet ground conditions) the number of completely ignorant cyclists just goes to fuel the anti bike brigade.
Rant over
Matthew

Back