Plastic spoke protectors...with Poll

Cool or not cool!

• Plastic spoke protectors should remain for originality!

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Plastic spoke protectors look cack and should be removed immediately!

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters
Re: Plastic spoke protectors...with or without?

daugs":y0n0gpfn said:
...unless going for complete originality then you can add the nice wheel reflectors it came with as well :D

*shudder* they were and still are the first mod I do to any bike, ditch the horrendous plastic ufo and wheel refelectors, and any self-respecting retrobiker would do the same.

The plastic disc is, I would say, for the "average Joe" cyclist who has neither the skills, the time, or the inclination to adjust the gears correctly, and in that case they probably are a useful feature, but they have no place on any half-decent MTB dammit!!
JC-rant.gif

100% original, as it came out the factory. I think removing the plastic and reflectors would spoil it. When I ride it, it does have a Flite Ti, and M775 pedals, but I've still got the original bits. I've also renovated the saddle, so it looks great now.

8099734869_6c92dd4e81_c.jpg

Right mine is going! I agree that it was the first thing that I took off my bikes BITD along with the front and rear reflectors and the wheel/pedal ones aswell!

Thanks for, in the main, backing up what I already thought!

Wook

maybe this could be a subject for the "Cool or Not Cool" vote? if it hasn't already been done?

jimo746":360wset6 said:
maybe this could be a subject for the "Cool or Not Cool" vote? if it hasn't already been done?

Good idea...Poll now added!

I think some have their place on special / fragile wheels. Tioga disc drives, spins, spinergys, low spoke count wheels that can't withstand chain damage to the spokes due to the spokes being more highly stressed, for that reason my road bike still has the protector, black aero spokes are like £7 each or something crazy bought in small numbers. They do look cack though.

dsc03301zq.jpg

I left one on one of my bikes for several years, when it got tatty I removed it I found that it had been slowly wearing away the spokes it touched. So, not so much a spoke protector as a very slow spoke saw. :x

Just to be awkward, I'd vote for an option 3: "Looks cack but for a detailed period correct build it should remain fitted"

Back