do you struggle with component choices?

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i'm looking for some new bits for my 2007 clockwork,

it's currently running raceface dues bar/stem/post, all of which i am happy with but the post has now got some major anodising wear so i bought a new raceface post as a replacement ready for when i get the frame repainted (original colours) so i have started looking for a new bar and stem aswel.

the reason for the new bar is that having got the Demon finished it has a wider bar which i now prefer so i thought i'd go wider on the clockwork, but that forces a stem change as they're all bloody 31.8 in the wider options!

but everything i see looks utter gash from raceface and not using raceface would then ruin my matching finishing kit theme.

so should i just do an easton or thomson etc bar/stem/post and not use/sell the new raceface post i bought?

i know it's a bit anal but i like stuff to match
:facepalm:

My preference is Thomson, great feel. They now do a bar, seat clamp add to a stem and post would look great. Though your skewers would not match, but if your running Hope brakes ,you could get skewers to match

I've given up on matching components.
Having said that I am running a race face turbine stem and it is lovely (and light).
Easton bars everytime for me though.

Not much bothered about matching, mostvpf my components are black anyway but I have spent hours agonising over which tyre to get.

I used too, but it gets a bit much, could I have £1K in King headsets or the same in Thomson posts and stems? Now I tend to try to find things that match as well as primarily filling my requirements.

Always use RaceFace bars and Hope stems. I don't mind as long as there is a smattering of RaceFace and Hope. Always have RF cranks and seem to go with Hope for stems, QRs, seatclamp and I like Thomson posts though my main ride has a Ritchey carbon jobbie. I try my damnedest to not use American components but sometimes needs must.

For the last few years I've been buying syncros gear (off eBay)
AM stems are nice and strong and you can get re-issue posts, kinda old school but modern quality.
check out salsa for bars. they still make wide bars in 25.4

nope, can't do it! can't mix brands!! i'd happily buy salsa bars if they were going on a salsa!

i just like stuff to match as best as possible, so i suppose simplistically the question is:-

do i keep looking out for a raceface bar and stem combo that i actually like or do i just buy for example an easton bar/stem/post?

I had this learning curve recently. My Bfe inherited the bars stem I had on my Last play bike so the didnt match at all eventually opted for some Easton Havoc DH bars (750) and a 70mm Thomson. Looks a lot better than it did. Handles alright too.

Back