1991 Yeti C-26 (a true barn find)

rumpfy":1vtmz7vi said:
languishing in the cellar of a home in Oakland, California for close to two decades.

Looks, like it has rotten outside a long time in all kinds of weather with lots of direct sunlight.

euphras_1":2cuorfya said:
Looks, like it has rotten outside a long time in all kinds of weather with lots of direct sunlight.

Amazingly not. Ridden hard for several years in Colorado (without breaking), then put into storage and has been pretty much not used since.
No extended sunlight/elements that I'm aware of....but put away dirty and left uncovered in a basement/cellar.

STX-SE is an odd one on that bike...has it been robbed of its original bits for another bike? That group didn't come along until '93-94, surely its considerably newer than the frame...Ritchey Rock 440 rims on STX-SE hubs is about right for a '93-94 Marin Nail Trail (probably a parts donor), so if its sat nearly 20 years, it mustn't have been ridden long after that stuff was fitted.

fairplay on that find, curious though, bearing in mind it's a barn find, did you know the size before hand? and is it the correct size for you? and if not would you bought it anyway because of what it was?

shame about the replaced parts (as it suggests lack of care) although in real terms not a major issue as what you need is out there without to many issues.
:cool:

shogun":2oo56v1c said:
STX-SE is an odd one on that bike...has it been robbed of its original bits for another bike? That group didn't come along until '93-94, surely its considerably newer than the frame...Ritchey Rock 440 rims on STX-SE hubs is about right for a '93-94 Marin Nail Trail (probably a parts donor), so if its sat nearly 20 years, it mustn't have been ridden long after that stuff was fitted.

As the story goes, the previous owner received the frame as an exchange of services from a Yeti employee. Its a reasonably safe guess this is a kit frame from the left over/stolen tubes. It was made after Herting left (no pulley wheel on the ST), and isn't a tribute bike made from left over Ron A tubes and assembled by CH himself. The previous owner wasn't an avid mountain biker so this was just another frame to him. Something he could use. So he scraped together the most inexpensive parts any way he could. It was nearly all STX and CODA. Previous owner said two years or so of hard riding before it started to sit.

jonnyboy666":2oo56v1c said:
fairplay on that find, curious though, bearing in mind it's a barn find, did you know the size before hand? and is it the correct size for you? and if not would you bought it anyway because of what it was?
shame about the replaced parts (as it suggests lack of care) although in real terms not a major issue as what you need is out there without to many issues.
:cool:

I was pics, so I knew it was on the larger side. 20" frame. I believe there are maybe one or two others out there in this size. One does not pass up any opportunity go purchase a C-26 regardless of size and condition. Its definitely bigger than I tend to ride...but its not totally out of range.

Parts replacement is/was not difficult. The final touches are a few hours of wrenching away....(when I can find the time next).

Cleaned up....then stripped down.

74ae85d2.jpg

c51e03d7.jpg

Latest posts

Back