Carbon Fibre.... Inspiration required.... UPDATE 18/04/13

A paperweight
A lightweight paper weight.

I would guess things like bottle mounts are the favorite.

I made wet lay up parts ~25 years ago.
Love to know how you get on, my big problem was
always pinholes.
A bonnet is actually pretty simple.
I made some stuff in molds, which obviously meant making a mold and even meant making a thing to take the mold off. A mate made a glassfibre bonnet, he had never touched glass[carbon/epoxy is nicer to work with than polyester/glassfibre] it was better than a bought in bonnet and it took him a couple of Friday afternoons. I made mudguards, took me longer to alter an oem item and take mold off it than it took my mate to make his dodge bonnet.
I made several things like one off huggers over/inside oem parts, quite quick to make.
I also made stuff over foam, I made petrol tanks like that. When it's finished pour petrol/thinners in and it melts the foam. I also left the foam in some items for strength, I made seat unit including subframe and it was made on a foam blank, I left the foam in it.

Only instruction I got was phoning Martin at the SPS tech dept and asking how do you? I could have done with some lessons;-)

Re: Carbon Fibre.... Inspiration required.

Might be a bit optimisic but how about a one-piece carbon fibre seatpost and seat for the BMX or Trials riders. BMX racers and kids down the skatepark would eat that up.

Re:

Chute55uk":3bl4oymf said:
sylus":3bl4oymf said:
a coffee mug
yes the best suggetion ever :D

How about a CF tea-tray to accompany it? Might draw the line at some biscuits to go with the coffee though, I suspect the Peek Freans Vectran Assortment might make for painful eating....

David

1-carbon-fiber-stormtrooper-helmet.jpg

Plenty more inspiration here - http://store.carbonfibergear.com/

If I were doing the course I'd be making a coffee mug or a toilet seat :cool:

Ive looked at designing a table
I envision a flat sheet where long rectangular pieces at the corners
I can see it would be very difficult to make in a single piece so thought that if i was to do the legs first,rolled into a tube till the resin sets then removing the former from their centres.
As that leaves a square flat sheet[or sheets rather] with tubes at the corners.Next i thought to set the main flat but it could be tricky to have it set in such a manner as to keep the legs and top perfectly square
Im qualified as a furniture designer,usually its metal,plastic or wood that i can work with,but i seriously like the idea of CF.I think its a material that hasnt been fully recognized for that industry :?

a carbon desk lamp
a clock housing (fit your own clock into it( an oldskool grandfather clock would be cool )
a funky shaped candle holder( for display purposes)
small dash for a track car

can you make parts to sell in your spare time ?

Back