Chainring Q

kampos

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hello everyone ; noobish question as I'm too Luddite to know but : Are all 4-bolt chainrings the same? I need to replace a 104mm BCD outer ring on an FSA crank and was frankly terrified by FSA's prices. Can source a Shimano Deore M530 at a better price so will that fit? Last time I bought rings they were 74/110mm so it's been a while :shock:
Thanks ; kampos/Dave

Not all but the vast majority. It will generally state if its not (xtr m960 for example has its own specific rings).

cyfa2809":1vxgx4k2 said:
(xtr m960 for example has its own specific rings).
tell me about it .... and each chain ring has its own set of bolts so you wold need single ring bolts as opposed to double bolts ....oh, and they OEM rings are £££!!!!! :shock: but it is a really pretty crank,

FWIW, some older Specialized cranksets have a weird (slighly smaller than 74) bcd for the granny ring. But, other than that and the FSA and XTR mentioned above, pretty much everything else 4 bolt is 104/74bcd. That said not everything fits everything else. Both my modern bikes have steel Truvativ rings on Shimano M760 cranks which work fine, but over the years I've noticed several rings that have required a little trim with a file to get them to fit on a crank - even when the brand is the same for both ring and crank.

So, in short yes... and no :LOL:

Thanks guys ; I'm still dithering like a mad thing ; why can't makers just all agree to make rings universal.... :x

Back