Shipping from USA to UK questions...

chiswickcollectables

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
OK so I've just bought a massive Klein that GearlessinSeattle is selling and I've got a few questions about shipping from USA to UK that someone maybe able to help with. Now obviously I'd like to avoid import duty ;) so is this possible by being less than truthful about the actual cost of the item and by saying the item is worth less than what it actually is and would lying affect the insurance if something were to go wrong? Also what does ticking the gift box do?

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Craig :)

Why would you want to avoid your legal responsibilities ?

Be really careful here, if it's marked gift there is a limit to the amount you can claim back if it gets damaged. If you mark it merchandise but set the value a lot lower to lower the amount of duty and it gets damaged you will not be able to claim the real value back because you have lied.

Suck it up and pay the import duty it's easier in the long run.

B77":335tayz5 said:
Why would you want to avoid your legal responsibilities ?

..because I'm sick of getting bummed by the tax man :cry:

B77":335tayz5 said:
Suck it up and pay the import duty it's easier in the long run.

This is my way of thinking I just wasn't sure if there was any way around it. Any idea what duty would be on bike worth £1,200?

Cheers.

I found that duty calculator.... OUCH :shock:

I've tried entering a few different figures and for every £100 alteration of the package's value there's quite a difference on the cost of the duty. I'd budgeted for 350 quid so the closer I can get to that the better.

I would split it between two USPS shipments, one with the frame alone marked as used bicycle frame, and one as used bicycle parts. Declaring a lower value is indeed only possible with the risk of short changing yourself on compensation if anything nasty happens.

My experience of chasing up compensation leads me to recommend paying up rather than risking it.

Mind you, I was trading guitars and amps back in the days when at least half my consignments came through with no charges at all. Seems now it is all 'puterised they don't miss much!

Beautiful bike.

Yes I would split to frame, wheels separate and ancillaries separate or simply agree a deal on the fuselage as you can get all the bits you need in the UK. Chances are you will get hit for duty. I was hit on a simple MC1 marked as used parts and it hurts. Only missed charges on small items hence suggesting a smaller box of components.

Cheers

do you know anyone who is going to or going from the states soon?

some airways do not charge transantlantic if it's sports luggage in a conventional box and other do make a charge..the highest I've seen is $150

I've often taken bikes to and from the states with very little issue and very little cost when being taken as luggage

chiswickcollectables":3dgxskgk said:
OK so I've just bought a massive Klein that GearlessinSeattle is selling and I've got a few questions about shipping from USA to UK that someone maybe able to help with. Now obviously I'd like to avoid import duty ;) so is this possible by being less than truthful about the actual cost of the item and by saying the item is worth less than what it actually is and would lying affect the insurance if something were to go wrong? Also what does ticking the gift box do?

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Craig :)

I'm sure Lawrence is loving the fact that you are so brazen about committing fraud and don't mind suggesting he helps you do so on a public forum...
He's a good guy, but don't take the piss.

Latest posts

Back