Are you sitting on a fortune ....

As has already been pointed out, asking prices do not necessarily correspond to selling prices. I believe that PB bikes is using teh following technique: ask a super high price to draw the attention of potential buyers (the technique seems to have worked as we are all discussing the items here!), then hope for eventual buyers to contact them and buy outside of ebay. In so doing saving the more than 10% fees. As an added bonus, he does from time to time also find some collector who absolutely can't wait to find a specific hard-to-find component, who will actually pay his high prices. So he comes out the winner all around. The buyer is also happy in that they can perhaps complete a bike that had been waiting for only one last part to be complete. When I look at my bikes, I rarely look at the cost of the individual components, but rather at the total cost of the bike, so if I have already got a great deal on everything else, I am often more than willing to splurge for one single item needed to complete it the way I want.

As regards the items that have been outed, they are all highly sought after and in short supply. The Dura ace stems in desirable lengths are severely limited in supply and can often make or break the appearance of a bike. If they were available at the same price of a Cinelli 1R, I would fit them on all of my bikes (and I am not alone in this). Likewise the chromed ICS stem. Contrary to what has been said, the ICS stems are not mirror-polished! They are chromed. They were also available in a gold-plated version. They do not need any special care like mirror-polished ones. They are also very very rare, like virtually all ICS components. The Cinelli city bike bars are likewise very rare and were always a premium price items, even when new. When you then think it combines a rare Cinelli steel stem, a rare Cinelli steel handlebar, a rare Cinelli stem badge, Cinelli brake levers and bone grips and the price is not all that hard to explain. Besides which, the $1000 price has been pretty well standard for these bars for close to a decade. Indeed, I sold a set to a British collector close to 10 years ago for just over $1000. I also sold a similar set to an American collector and to a Japanese collector.

One last consideration is related to the fact that nothing has any value whatsoever until it is sold.

lewisfoto":3176pn0o said:
Bagpuss: Impressive shed, puts the Bike Garage to shame. So how many Hetchins do you have?
just the one.
Most of the components i had have long been sold.
Price as already stated .How rare is the item,and what someone is prepered to fork out.

Get it ; fork out.... :facepalm:

oonaff":1wg578qg said:
good debate..but what s the genuine price for a cinelli grammo? that must be what some one paid recently at a jumble ,if they are still around that is.... no way im paying £150! i will have to find something else thats 90/s and different.... any clues

I'd love one of those for my Cinellli, but not at that price. I keep looking, one day I'll find one for sensible money.

Citoyen du monde":20bioavf said:
I believe that PB bikes is using teh following technique: hope for eventual buyers to contact them and buy outside of ebay. In so doing saving the more than 10% fees. As an added bonus, he does from time to time also find some collector who absolutely can't wait to find a specific hard-to-find component, who will actually pay his high prices. So he comes out the winner all around. .

^This^

Not that difficult to figure out.

As I stated earlier he IS selling the stuff. Do a Completed listing search of his inventory and you will see what i mean. I counted over $5000 usd in sales over the last couple of days. Plus his feedback is 7300+ so that speaks for itself. Right?

Maybe some bike parts are now viewed as art treasure/s ..and the cinelli grammo is no exception, perhaps i will save up and get one ! and stick it on e bay for..£900

Contrary from what the the media, televison and movies convey not everyone in the states are rich. Far from it.

Ebay is littered with items with ridiculous asking or starting prices. I collect Beatles items too and today there is a set
of autographs with an asking price of $114,000. A signed piece of Beatles artwork for $495,000.

I recently bought on Craig's List a early 70's Cinelli 1A stem and Giro d'Italia bars for $30. A Campy SR Strada crankset for $90.
A set of Wheels w/Campy SR LF hubs, Mavic rims and a winner freewheel for $90. There are plenty of deals to be had here.

Just to clarify, i was being somewhat ironic - the prices on the site linked are very high, and from what some of the respondents have said - the stuff is selling at the high prices.

I think that, as previously mentioned, if you need one bit to complete a group - you will pay the inflated prices and as the USA is a large country with a large population - there are enough people looking for that 'one bit' for the shop to survive and survive well. For people in the UK and Northern Ireland (me!) the prices are extreme - but then European parts may be easier and less expensive to source here.

I doubt that anyone in RB believed the original statement and we should all be aware of the poverty in the USA, as we are aware of poverty in the UK and Europe.

On a closing note, i wish i had the money to buy a lot of the expensive stuff but they don't have 600AX brake hoods and that puts me off digging deep in my pockets!! :)

Are we tired of this thread yet? well if not here is another one that might give you a hoot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Origina ... 2c6beeeb3d

Actually on a second glance these two are pretty remarkable - particularly if its true that they are unrestored. but I still think $12000 usd is silly high.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
lewisfoto":2o4t8v5r said:
Are we tired of this thread yet? well if not here is another one that might give you a hoot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Origina ... 2c6beeeb3d

Actually on a second glance these two are pretty remarkable - particularly if its true that they are unrestored. but I still think $12000 usd is silly high.

:shock: Wow

In the UK that would be £3780 each, beautiful bikes though. If I won the lottery I'd buy them.................and use them :D

Like you say though, if they are unrestored! Although if they are original, the chances of ever finding another kind of justifies the price, they must be completely unique.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back