Welcome Back - Retrobike software update complete :)

Koupe":16n0ugeh said:
xerxes":16n0ugeh said:
One other thing I noticed was that links now open in the same tab/window. I prefered it when they opened by default in a new tab/window; presumably there's a setting for that somewhere too.
Surely that's down to your browser settings?
Nope. It's a definitely a forum setting. I too prefer the old default.

Same thing just happened with the progress bar when uploading a pic - small window with a very wide message inside.

Andy

To address a few new comments.

1. The search index is currently being rebuilt, it'll take a while about 1,000,000 posts to go. In the meantime suggest the google search box top right.

2. The template is more or less the stock update of the old one. Certainly will be tweaking it over time but it's mostly there. One thing I will be doing is trying to ensure the signatures are aligned to the bottom of the posts. The old template was designed back in 2002 or earlier - this is certainly far more 2013 (or 2008 I guess).

3. I can update the code to ensure links open in a new window if that is what people wish.

4. Someone PM me so I can check the size of the notification box. Please.

Wasmachineman NL":1287t1f5 said:
This layout sucks b*lls John, can't you put the older one back?

Let me think .... no.

T'boo Ted":2am0nsa5 said:
Is it possible to make the forum links bit bigger (as in "Board Index>Mountain biking>Retro")
Just theres now a whole lot going on up there and the main site links are just a small as everything else and hard to find at a glance.

Thanks for all the work John, where's the "donate" button?

I agree with the above. I like the fact that I can link back to just the road forum rather than the entire forum but it takes me a while to find it, although obviously in time I'll get used to it but if it could be a little larger that would be good. I'd also agree with the spacing issues regarding empty gaps between lines.

Personally I think the forum is just the medium we use to get together it's the users that makes it the great place that it is.

Thanks again for your work John much appreciated :D

Good work John - I like it, and I understand what a pain it can be trying to make sure everything's migrated properly. Well done!

My one negative, and it's only a tiny one, is that because lots of other sites are now using phpBB 3, the style of this forum looks quite a lot like other forums (fora?). The shape, the feel, the layout. I appreciate it will be a lot of work to change this, and whatever you do won't be to everyone's liking, but I think phpBB3 itself is probably going to be the cause of quite a few "it looks funny" complaints.

Still - loving your work, sir! :)

While playing with templates, it would be nice though have a mobile detection and feed the page layout optimised for that automatically. I know plenty of other sites that do that.
It not so bad on my 7" pad and but my mobile was horrible you use. Given I know many who try and visit the site using them and it'll only get more common, something to think about. The format option and selection choices at the bottom could do with being twice as large even for my pad.

Removing that font colour box would probably help and getting some nice big buttons, title menus etc...
All in all it seems to be running fine so far.

Best bit is the stickies are separated from the main posts :)

Back