The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Wouldn't you be better using HDMI or component video from the DVD to AV Amp, and then HDMI or component from the Amp to telly?

Not much point using composite from player to amp and then component from amp to monitor as once the signal has been mullered by the component video connection, you're not going to make it better with component video connection further down stream.

Jeez, home theatre is complex! I'll stick to 2 channel audio only ta! :D

apache":bfi5erev said:
Wouldn't you be better using HDMI or component video from the DVD to AV Amp, and then HDMI or component from the Amp to telly?

Not much point using composite from player to amp and then component from amp to monitor as once the signal has been mullered by the component video connection, you're not going to make it better with component video connection further down stream.

Jeez, home theatre is complex! I'll stick to 2 channel audio only ta! :D

Agreed, I just ordered two component leads for that reason. Much cheaper than I expected and should be here in the morning! HDMI's not an option on the amp (scroll up for the connections pic)

Next is the orange digi audio coax cable (going with 7.5m as I've not much choice really) and I'm just toying with a daft twenty metre phono to phono to send the PC audio into the next room - otherwise I've got two 10m and a f/f connector, which just seems like making a bad situation worse :facepalm: :LOL:
This one:
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.p ... ts_id=5688

Now that will mean PC to amp on the digi cable, then out of the amp on 'zone 3' ... of which I have no comprehension!

Cracking learning curve though, enjoying myself at least :LOL:

A really long cheap cable will probably have significant capacitance, so might roll off the treble a bit, making your music sound a bit dull. £8 is hardly expensive though is it?

apache":2rve1t8p said:
A really long cheap cable will probably have significant capacitance, so might roll off the treble a bit, making your music sound a bit dull. £8 is hardly expensive though is it?

Indeed not, if it makes a difference :) I'll get that and the orange ordered ASAP, cheers!

To try an sum up and avoid confusion:

Basically - connect your component out to your component in on your TV using any old interconnects, as long as you match the colours up at each end.... Coloured plugs just make it easier....

Audio out from the PC - Coax digital out cable will theoretically give you better digital transfer than a normal interconnect but I can't really hear the difference TBH.

This receiver doesn't have HDMI in so that connection isn't an option.

The best reproduction it will do will depend on the source. If DVD/Blu-ray has superior DACs to the receiver, then use the analog 5.1 inputs (I do this with my own SACD/DVD-A player) but if the source has poor DACs then use it as transport to the DACs on the receiver.

Thanks db, I'd missed that last post, very helpful :)

Well, we have ZONE 3 people!

That was remarkably easy and sounds decent on the old cable I found, will upgrade the cable next time I'm buying any though. Very pleased indeed!

Also have a pair (cheap) and an odd (decent) smallish speaker to try the surround, so expect more stupid questions soon...

For starters though, a really simple and possibly very obvious one: Help the Idiot Time #3

If I want 5/6/7 channel audio from the DVD - and I really do - I have red&white OUTs but can't see where they'd go to on the amp, only corresponding option seems to be pre-amp but I confess to no knowledge of said thing :oops: does it mean it's an IN for pre-amplified signals? I'm assuming this would mean I'm using the DVD players DAC?

But I think it's safe to assume that the amp is the better quality gear so option two would be optical - again new to me - would that be the preferred route? Lot less cable clutter that way too!

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

'optical' out into the denon from the dvd player will give you whatever is on the DVD disc (digital processing) plus you can use the denon's processing to add more (analog processing).

Orange cable too - same as your PC connection.

What LGF wrote.

And one more thing - best to use digital out on DVD players, even if you also have connected it with analog interconnects if you have a good one - as you'll probably need it to play back the DTS soundtrack which is better quality than Dolby Digital.

A high-end DVD player will often have 5+1 analog outs to connect to the receiver. If yours hasn't it's probably not high end so just connect with optical or co-ax.

Cheers guys, DVD does have 5.1 analogue OUTs, but if the optical gets me DTS et al in the same quality then I'll go with that for simplicity!

Back