Unidentified Seat Post - USP!!!

Did you study the nicks out of it? I am pondering a restoration which would conflict with the thread about polishing stuff.

I not i did not see your input into that thread, LOL!!!! :D

TGR":8bx4sn67 said:
After further forensic examination (my eyes are now sore) i see some letters stamped on the end of the bolt - again, these are distorted and extremely difficult to make any sense of - as they are stamped around the edge of the bolt it is hard for me to make sense of them - here you go -

. . O B O I . . B . B or

B . B . . O B ? I . .

The sets of double dots are in the centre of the line and the dot between the b's is like a full stop.

I am not sure if this helps, but i can only hope.

Thanks all,

Richard

Yes, that will be the famous 1980's 'Boobi' seat post. The model you have is the 'Boboidibob Boobi' post

TGR":2cz198a8 said:
Did you study the nicks out of it? I am pondering a restoration which would conflict with the thread about polishing stuff.

I not i did not see your input into that thread, LOL!!!! :D

Input added.

It's quite a nice post, angular which isn't very common. If you have the time and patience to get those scratches out and give it a damn fine polishing then yeah go for it you could certainly do a lot worse. Doesn't really matter who made it and what it is worth at the end of the day it's whether you like it or not.

Tel":2bq77a4i said:
Doesn't really matter who made it and what it is worth at the end of the day it's whether you like it or not.
I beg to differ on that Tel! Everyone likes to know who made a certain thing, just look at the vast posts of ''What frame is this'' on this forum.

Oh yes I know but really does it actually effect the performance of the item?

It is the value and history that matters with identification. Nice to know and fun to research and successfully identify something but if you don't know and like the item/ it fits/ it performs well then just use it and enjoy it.

Tel":19gbjnn8 said:
well then just use it and enjoy it.
I like this quote a bit Tel ;) Like I've enjoyed my Raleigh since the day I got it new and still love riding it.

Though I get some negative comments from friends as to why I'm riding it with mudguards fitted and worst of all in winter :roll:

LOL,

Strangely this thread connects with the 'do you like polishing one' and, i think, clearly demonstrates my point about re-using and refurbing older items.

To polish or not to polish? I should add that the pics make it shinier than it actually is - it is really a dull grey/black with a lot of bad marks - diamond file time, wet and dry, autosol - the joys of restoration ...

OR ebay for a cheap on at £5!!!! LOL

Thanks all,

Richard

Back