Raleigh Europa 1979 - Project (With lots of Photos)

Hey mrcpea, thanks for your comment, and glad you enjoyed viewing my thread :D, those pots are the paint remover and the brush to apply the paint remover on the frame.

As to spray the frame I used rattle cans under coat and spray (sprayed like 3 to 4 layers of spray) and applied two layers of lacquer after a few days of the last layer of spray. Wet sanded the frame and applied polish.

KidDynamite":13r50dxb said:
Hey mrcpea, thanks for your comment, and glad you enjoyed viewing my thread :D, those pots are the paint remover and the brush to apply the paint remover on the frame.

As to spray the frame I used rattle cans under coat and spray (sprayed like 3 to 4 layers of spray) and applied two layers of lacquer after a few days of the last layer of spray. Wet sanded the frame and applied polish.

Many thanks for your reply.
I have a Kona Lava Dome that I want to do similar with, when time allows.
I'd be grateful for any advice/suppliers of products you used for removing the paint, filling frame ,sanding down & type of paint/lacquer "rattle can" that you used. Also your wet rubbing technique.
I'm VERY impressed with the finish & hope you can help :D

KidDynamite":27ghesuw said:
26012013660.jpg

Some small update that can be noticed in this picture is the carbon wrapping under the shifters, so paint will not be chipped or sctrached.

After all the excellent work you did on the bike could you not make an exact copy of the inside of the gear lever clamp in clear paint protection film
and replace it inside of the black tape, then it would look even better, maybe even replace the black bits you have put on the frame with the clear tape :cool:

If you are not sure what the clear protection tape is, its this stuff which is also known as Helicopter tape!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Helicopter-ta ... 53f3f83880

Using a 15mm wide strip of this tape on the lower frame seat tube, near were the tyre is, is useful to stop chips caused by stones thrown up by the tyre.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hey Ian Raleigh,

Yep, true, that would be a great idea, thanks for the link, much appreciated :), it's also quiet cheap compared to the carbon wrap / sticker. I also have a very similar tape (the normal White electric tape), that costed me a few € cents, but the film you sent me is glossy and looks a lot like the bike's colour.

KidDynamite":16chvqor said:
but the film you sent me is glossy and looks a lot like the bike's colour.

The white you see on the tape is the 'backing tape', its the clear tape which can be seen is what you use.

You can get this tape in varying different thickness's too and you can also get the tape from good quality car shops.

Ian.

mrcpea":2rr03kw3 said:
KidDynamite":2rr03kw3 said:

Many thanks for your reply.
I have a Kona Lava Dome that I want to do similar with, when time allows.
I'd be grateful for any advice/suppliers of products you used for removing the paint, filling frame ,sanding down & type of paint/lacquer "rattle can" that you used. Also your wet rubbing technique.
I'm VERY impressed with the finish & hope you can help :D

I stripped down the bike to just a frame and fork and used the normal paint remover bought from a normal iron monger.

Once all the paint is removed from the frame, sanded down all the frame to have a nice and clean frame (forgot the number of the sand paper, but if you ask the iron monger for sure will help you out).

Sprayed a few layers of undercoat and left the frame to dry for a few days, and then sprayed the main colour on the frame (3 to 4 layers of spray) and very important to leave the frame to dry out. The rattle cans I bought them from a shop that supplies varies types of colours that can also be ordered.

After a couple of days left to dry I applied a few layers of lacquer (Wurth lacquer), you need to be very careful when applying lacquer or you will end up with a big mess.

Once all is done, wet sanded the bike with a 1500 sand paper and polished the whole frame.

Hope this helps you or anyone out. :) You need to be very careful when installing back the parts as rattle cans spray can be very delicate. My opinion is that you do not apply lacquer near the cranks, BB and seat post.

Hi All, It has been a while since I posted something on my thread. Few weeks ago I bought the back lights and the saddle post bag (below pictures). Alsooo yesterday I received new front and rear wheels :). while post some pictures later on. :)

19022013732.jpg

19022013733.jpg

Hi all, hope you're all well, haven't updated much my thread, after waiting for almost three weeks for my new wheels, now they're installed and the bike is on the road again. Felt great to be on the saddle again hehe.

Updates: New Rigida wheels and some other bits and maintenance. This weekend went for a ride and took the below pics. Hope you like them. :)

dscf2618y.jpg

dscf2627e.jpg

dscf2628a.jpg

Comments (positive and negative) are welcome.

Back