Last EWR ever made...

rody

BoTM Winner
Hey folks,

Had the opportunity last week to pick up the last EWR ever made...a custom 14.5" frame that the customer defaulted on and has been sitting unloved in an attic ever since. As my son was in dire need of a proper ride, the frame came home and we built it up today with parts from the spare bin. A HUGE thank you goes out to Bill and Aaron for letting this one go. Enjoy Kalten's new ride...

Frame: EWR E-Motion Race in flat metallic gun metal blue built by the artistic hands of Bill Grove and Crew

Parts Kit: Mix of Shimano Deore XT 8 speed, IRD BB, Bontrager Post, Syncros Stem, Hyperlite bar, well used Judy with fresh internals.

Rider: 11 year old Kalten...looking forward to the next XC race at Vulture's Knob

cheers,

rody

Attachments

• Kaltens EWR 4 small.JPG
    Kaltens EWR 4 small.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,830
  • Kaltens EWR 3 small.JPG
    Kaltens EWR 3 small.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,830
  • Kaltens EWR 1 small.JPG
    Kaltens EWR 1 small.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,830
Nice bike Rody ...and congrats Kalten!

Another well made piece of the hands of Bill Grove :) Always liked the Grove typical paintscheme, but I for sure appreciate this sophisticated looking too. Frame looks pretty much like the one you just finished the stem for.

- Melvin

Oh man that is sweet. I've recently ordered a Ti frame with a similar design, love the acres of standover room.

Your son is a lucky lad, that is one sweet lookin' ride.

What's the story behind EWR, not a brand I'm particularly aware of...

John,

The brief story...

Eastern Woods Research was founded by Jay DeJesus of eastern Pennsylvainia in the early 90's. Jay was the Trialsin editor for Dirt Rag Magazine and was a voracious single track rider as well. Jay designed three basic bikes; the "Woods" bike, the E-motion race frame, and a specific trials frame.

The geometry of the bikes were designed to perform in the tight/rocky single track of the eastern US...short chainstays, high bb, long top tube with plenty of standover. Had a very avid following of regional riders for a number of years til financial debt overcame Jay's ability to keep up.

Most the frames were built by Grove Innovations and painted by Fresh Frame. Standard steel rides with clean, tight lines. Basic colors were orange and yellow.

Kalten's is special as it was the last frame produced...custom ordered for a small rider then defaulted on payement. Been hanging in Bill's attic ever since. The bike is Killer!

Here are some other examples...

cheers,

rody

Attachments

• woods frame.jpg
    woods frame.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,667
  • EWR1.jpg
    EWR1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2,667
  • EWR_E_Motion_1.jpg
    EWR_E_Motion_1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 2,667
Yeah, I do recognize the Grove signature in it. The dropout in the last pic looks familiar :)

Yep, those are Bills water jet cut dropouts. Where the fabrication really differed is that the EWR's were all tigged up and the Groves and Braves received brass and silver for the dropouts, bosses, etc...

The EWR's were usually built in batches, rather than one at a time, so the finer, more time consuming details were left behind for efficiency of time and money.

I'd love to build a "woods" frame sometime, the nicest detail being the pierced toptube to mitered downtube :shock:

Cool!

rody

Back