Ship ahoy.........any sailors in............

marky2484

Senior Retro Guru
Been gripped with the urge to learn how to sail. Looking at a 5 day competent crew course as a first step. Local club not amazingly welcoming, unfortunately. Any advice / tips gratefully received. :oops:

see if you have a local MVS (maritime volunteer service), they run a lot of courses at cost price, get down to the local marina and volunteer for crew.

I went with friends quite a few times first then did a week long "day skipper", next one up from competent crew (which is quite basic) and includes navigation and a lot more theory, so I would try to go sailing a few times first before splashing out on courses. Also it depends on when and where. I remember going round Isle of Wight one March which was more challenge than fun - think 10 hours of someone throwing buckets of sea water in your face

sometimes some of the older boys who own boats but don't want to give them up for sentimental reasons...sell a time share or..are just happy for someone physically able to sail the boat for them.

the downside as you mention is quite often sailing.boating clubs can be a bit snobbish so the key possibly is to work your way in first

an obvious but very long term thing..sea cadets and helping them?

or any outdoor centres close to you that may operate on lakes and inland water. many will rent till you decide if it's something you want to spend money on later

lumos2000":xa41khnz said:
careful now":xa41khnz said:
Buy a Topper and a How to sail book,what's the worst that could happen?

:LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-xNzIg1Lk

As a kid I turned a Topper turtle in Poole harbour, and got the mast stuck in the mud. Ended up with hypothermia.

What do you want to sail? Little boats on lakes, or yachts in the sea? If little boats, then day skipper and competent crew is useless.

I'd recommend learning to sail a dinghy. My parents and I learnt at Rockley Point, Poole. This is where I'm sending my wife to learn to sail. I have fond memories of it, but it was over 20 years ago.

I have done my competent crew, and sailed the length of the South Coast, to Ireland, the Atlantic, and from Trinidad to USVI, amongst other places. I haven't done the skipper courses, but have skippered a 39' yacht.

It's not a cheap hobby, but is fun. If you do want to buy a yacht, my mums selling a nice ocean going 39 footer ;)

Back