Rocky Mountain Blizzard 1994 - Update 26.01.13

bout time you got back on this Andy! not a fan of the RF stem sorry. but i'd concentrate on building her up with what you've already got to get riding and swap components when available. ;)

Agree there Frank! I'm not a fan now either...I sat looking at it again a few times & it's just not working. I'd rather get something else, seeing as I don't have a RF Post anymore, kind of opens up a list of something different...Maybe Ritchey?...I'm not sure on length either right now so could just get some cheapo options & ride it for now...more building to come the weekend...

Thanks Ben! I might look into that. Then as always the seatpost might need looking at. I have an XT 730 to put on in Black...Hmmmmm! I'm going to find a few stems to play with sizing myself on it and then get a proper stem to use on the build.

Did somebody ask about progress? :LOL:...

SSA41956_zps085d6b97.jpg

SSA41952_zpsb2205d7b.jpg

SSA41951_zps3229f51b.jpg

SSA41946_zpsa141bf00.jpg

SSA41948_zps5056f030.jpg

Not the flattering Pics I'd like!! It wasn't a flattering day! Spent yesterday afternoon & a couple of hours today bolting stuff on. Nowhere near finished...

Haven't got an ideal Bar & Stem combo as the RaceFace Turbine wasn't working for me, so I've put on a cockpit from work for now to see how long the stem needs to be before committing to a suitable Race Face or Ritchey perhaps. (I'm avoiding Syncros as too many RM's get that treatment). I'll be back to flat bars. The risers look wrong on this but they both get me riding for now. I've a 120mm too so will take that with me & change it on the trail to see how that goes against the current 100mm.

I Don't like the bulky AHead brake hanger. Captain Cosmic put me in touch with a fork mounted one. Might be worth a look to get a cleaner line?
I replaced the Dia-Compe Blocks for Eagle Claws. The rear brake needs connecting up but I'm missing a Blue Ferrule so have ordered some today.

The SRT500R Gripshift is surprisingly nice! I did have these in '94 on my Lobster for a while. Got the cables changed over last night & shifting is sweet! Only 7spd cassette, so I have a Magic, doing nothing 8th shift. Anybidy know where I can get the upgrade Spring? No problems yet, they did seem to loosen up on the shift after the cable stretch.

Ritchey WCS 1.7's might have been OK last week, not sure if they'll be too narrow? Only way to find out is a ride or 2...
Saddle height & over BB to be set up. I'll do this tomorrow evening & put my pedals on.

Plan is to take it for a ride on Friday, weather permitting and then look at the front end changes. The Paint is very nice in the light, but does chip if Manhandled. Oh! FOOK! I was putting the clamp on & it was tight, got a bit too hasty & it slipped! So that requires touching up somehow??...

SSA41953_zps5337d977.jpg

All in, it does look very subtle! I'm even wondering if the ferrules are overkill & should go back to Silver? I just wanted a slight highlight to pick off the Blue Decals. I have the near to original Tange Seat Tube Decal to put on as well, so that'll go on this week. & one last job will be some Helitape on the cable areas. I'm hoping to get some much better Images once it's finally finished. Looking forward to a short ride on it end of this week...It's been 2 years in the making & nearly there...

90% Finished Build Spec.

Frame: Rocky Mountain Blizzard 1994 Tange Ultimate Ultralight

Fork: Kona Project 2 Double Butted

Headset: Race Face Deus
Stem: Boardman 100mm (To be Swapped on correct length decision!)
Handlebar: Boardman Riser (To be Swapped on correct length decision!)
Grips: ODI Attck

Brakes: NOS Dia-Compe 987 in Silver
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Eagle Claw
Brake Cables: Standard
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia-Compe
Brake Levers: NOS Dia-Compe SS7

Shifters: SRT500R Gripshift 8spd (Using only 7 Clicks)
Front Derailleur: M735 XT
Rear Derailleur: NOS M735 XT
Derailleur Cables: Standard
Cassette: NOS HG70 7spd 12-28
Chain: NOS HG91
Cranks: Race Face Turbine LP 175mm
Crank Bolts: Standard 8mm
Chainrings: Race Face 22/32/44
Chainring bolts: Race Face
Bottom Bracket: UN72 107mm Axle
Pedals: Time ATAC Carbon

Hub Skewers: M732 XT
Rims: Sunn CR17A
Hubs: NOS M732 XT 7spd
Tyres: NOS Ritchey ZMax WCS 1.7
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: M730 XT
Seatpost Binder: Rocky Mountain - Anodised Blue

Weight:? (Light enough)

Hey Andy, that looks nice, even with the cockpit you have on. Nice blend of retro and modern. Paint though seems a little too fragile, no? Or were you REALLY heavy handed? :?

I've used a few Kona fork hangers on a couple of bikes/forks. That's prob what you should be after, or a generic that's similar.

Hanger.jpg

27536_1_Zoom.jpg

Leave the black hanger, much nicer than a bodge on the forks
Of course a metal L-bend into it would be neater one you get the new bars and stem fitted.

As for the metal upgrade, I may havw what you are after.
PM me then remind me in a few days as well
:oops:

I just found some SPD plates RockiMtn was after some time ago :oops:

Back