Can RC30's be rechromed??

stocko

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
as title says.....

can 2nd gen rc30's be re-chromed,as i'm not sure about them being done because of the ally dropouts??

a quick answer would be great

Yes

By shear coincidence I dropped off a pair of mk2 RC30 legs at ST Chrome on Saturday. We had a very long chat about what they could do & the best way to go about stripping and replating them and the up shot is that they can do it. The only down side is there's a four week wait.

I was given the impression that the drop outs and leg tops needed to be removed and rebonded once the chroming was complete. I guess this depends on how early the legs are though, as some are simply welded on.

Which does the OP have and if it ist the bonded version, how are your suppliers goiing to be doing it?

Very interested.

ishaw":37ctqu3n said:
I was given the impression that the drop outs and leg tops needed to be removed and rebonded once the chroming was complete

Apparently rather than removing them they can be masked, I forget what they said they used for masking but I think it was cellulose based but don't quote me on that.

I wait to see the results.......

Re:

integerspin":1aehgnpa said:
Rampage":1aehgnpa said:
Rubber cement?
Cellulose paint? I have seen stuff masked with tape.
Do they have to de-embrittle them afterwards?

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the processes that they use to say either way, your best bet is to give them a call: 01454 313162

Before:

Forks4_zps30ce805d.jpg

Forks6_zps72699f76.jpg

After

RC30Forks003_zps026c2bab.jpg

NB, they don't look so brown in real life, I'll try and get some better pictures later

Back