First Retro - '94 Kona Kilauea

Cheers for the kind words and confirmation on the hub people, that's a pleasant surprise.

Shame whoever put those wheels on it couldn't have stretched to a Ti glide on the back ;-)

leapgate":3hkyruvd said:
Cheers for the kind words and confirmation on the hub people, that's a pleasant surprise.

Shame whoever put those wheels on it couldn't have stretched to a Ti glide on the back ;-)

I always put an XT on rear, with a Hope on the front. Think it was common place, and I wasn't the only.

Pyro Tim":wfpom493 said:
I always put an XT on rear, with a Hope on the front. Think it was common place, and I wasn't the only.

Yep, that's what's been done on this one, and I'm definitely not complaining :)

Definitely quite common just to have a pimped front hub and the rear left as the Shimano hub. I guess cost, Shimano worked and the Ti-Glide didn't really catch on until later on. At least around here. Always just the front hub, as that could be seen and was the cool bling bit.

I found that saddle to be terrible, so bad my arse was hurting by the end of the street. Worst I've ever sat on.

I had that exact same bike except it had Purple Pace Bars, Gripshift and Dia-Compe Cantis. I am in the process of trying to buy it back from the lad I sold it to 13 years ago. :)

Check out what I did with mine that I got back - see link in my signature.

They ride so well it's almost a crime.

Rob, yours is lovely, and a great story too!

I was just thinking the other day I probably ought to update this thread, not sure what people will make of the type of use I'm putting it to though... It has become my baby ferrying bike :shock:

While it's great for that kind of riding, I feel a little bit like I'm holding it back from fulfilling its purpose in life :-/

Awesome find! It was in darn good condition compared to a lot of them these days. I picked one up a few weeks ago that had apparently been found in a dumpster. Sadly, it had been relieved of most original parts, including everything titanium. Going to take a while to get all that back :(

Haha. Better than letting Gravy Monster's Rusty Rat '95 Kilauea near your offspring, I guess ;)

Back