Campagnolo Hub ID Expert Needed

agentorange":1oiu2lvr said:
This is fun...

OK, according to Velobase "Later Chorus has the word 'Chorus' etched into the barrel, under the winged wheel. Earlier ones can be distinguished from lesser ranges (Veloce, Mirage, Centaur etc.) by flat dust-caps, as opposed to domed ones. Also Chorus hubs have 'S-T' impressed into the locknuts [the same marking is found on the hub barrels of early Record]. Not sure what this implies. But Chorus DOESN'T share Record's forged and through-hardened hub cups. So it's not clear how - functionally - Chorus are any better than the cheaper ranges."

:facepalm: Its confusing...

I've read all the Velobase info, but Chorus and Athena both seem to have alloy spacers and flat dust caps. I don't think they're Victory as the rear hub looks a slightly different shape. Triomphe appear to have dust caps with a domed edge. I don't have 'S-T' so I now 'guess' :) that makes them Athena :facepalm:

Robbied196":2xi8e7p2 said:
agentorange":2xi8e7p2 said:
This is fun...

OK, according to Velobase "Later Chorus has the word 'Chorus' etched into the barrel, under the winged wheel. Earlier ones can be distinguished from lesser ranges (Veloce, Mirage, Centaur etc.) by flat dust-caps, as opposed to domed ones. Also Chorus hubs have 'S-T' impressed into the locknuts [the same marking is found on the hub barrels of early Record]. Not sure what this implies. But Chorus DOESN'T share Record's forged and through-hardened hub cups. So it's not clear how - functionally - Chorus are any better than the cheaper ranges."

:facepalm: Its confusing...

I've read all the Velobase info, but Chorus and Athena both seem to have alloy spacers and flat dust caps. I don't think they're Victory as the rear hub looks a slightly different shape. Triomphe appear to have dust caps with a domed edge. I don't have 'S-T' so I now 'guess' :) that makes them Athena :facepalm:

I have just found an identical pair in the shed which I always thopught were Athena which also have the alloy spacer so I'm thrown slightly too.

I've been looking at the rims, they are Mavic Mach 2 CD 2 which according to Velobase date from the early 90s.

Still means they could be Chorus or Athena :roll:

the LY number on that freewheel is the year of its manufacture also , but that means nothing really to date/identify a hub sorry

Back