The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky Mountain Altitude Team 93(?)

I've got a RM Altitude Team that I believe is 1993. I've owned it for 18/19 years and never used it off road. I built it us a hack to use to and fro work. I'm in the process of stripping it down with a view to selling it.
No frame damage, chain slap and suck marks and obviously the odd chip here and there. Stickers are wearing.
Any ideas how much it's worth? I'd love to keep it and restore it, I just can't justify having 4 bikes.
Thanks

troje":uwdgm48r said:
I have a used set of Grafton Speed sticks here, some scratches and marks here and there. Any idea what they're worth?

DSC_0695.JPG

DSC_0696.JPG

Think they would go for €150 if you have some Grafton brakes, xt levers and some xt thumbies... ;) ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Altitude

Rocky Altitude
I have been trying to buy one for two years now and know they are worth £100 to £200 for an average Frame
A full period correct bike must be around £1000

I'm busy designing and building my new prototype and need some funding, so I've decided to sell my original Cleland Aventura.

It's currently rideable, but really could do with a good clean.

It will probably need a new bottom bracket bearing, although the one fitted seems to be OK.

The brake shoes will need re-lining. I'm sure I have a spare set somewhere, but have not found them yet.

It would come with a decal/sticker set and a pair of brand new Hakkapeliittas with ice spikes, plus spare spikes with a fitting/removal tool.

I really have no idea what it's worth, but it would be helpful if I could get a clue, then I could post it for sale.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to seeing what people suggest.

Attachments

• OriginalAventura.jpg
    OriginalAventura.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 348
I thought I'd better post a couple of larger photos of my original Aventura...

Are these big enough?

Attachments

• DSCF2267-copy.jpg
    DSCF2267-copy.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 614
  • DSCF2271-copy.jpg
    DSCF2271-copy.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 614
I think there was only 23 of these Aventuras made and the last one I recollect being for sale in here was number 5.... a 1983 vintage and was sold I believe for £1,200 in June last year?

Edit...I'm on the itouch and still can't copy and paste dammit..... Use the search and type in cleland for sale or cleland aventura number 5

Double edit...I haz woken :LOL: ...that thread is here but as you can see theirs was quite mint

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Kona Combocage and bottle

I have a imaculate Kona combocage. It is complete with with levers and repair kit box - the sticker on the repair box is a little damaged from being put into the cage. I also have an immaculate Kona Combocage bottle that goes with the cage.

Any idea how much this should be sold for?

It came with a bike I brought years ago and I have never used it.

Re: Kona Combocage and bottle

jawa":36livo8m said:
I have a imaculate Kona combocage. It is complete with with levers and repair kit box - the sticker on the repair box is a little damaged from being put into the cage. I also have an immaculate Kona Combocage bottle that goes with the cage.

Any idea how much this should be sold for?

It came with a bike I brought years ago and I have never used it.

Hard to tell, but I bought a mint one a few months ago for around 25 GBP...

sylus":2o923rge said:
I think there was only 23 of these Aventuras made and the last one I recollect being for sale in here was number 5.... a 1983 vintage and was sold I believe for £1,200 in June last year?

Edit...I'm on the itouch and still can't copy and paste dammit..... Use the search and type in cleland for sale or cleland aventura number 5

Double edit...I haz woken :LOL: ...that thread is here but as you can see theirs was quite mint

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Historical Context
In 1982 This bike was the first to be sold by Cleland Cycles Ltd. Cleland was in all probability the first off-road bicycle manufacturer in Europe? So that would make this the first purpose built European off-road bicycle to be produced and sold. Before this bike the only way to get a British built off-road bike was to build your own, and a couple of people did make their own 'Mountain Bike' copies as early as 1981. In 1979 bicycle journalist Richard Grant brought ti Britain an original Klunker that he bought from Gary Fisher. Therafter, a few people did bring back mountain bikes from the US, usually those made by Tom Ritchey. The first mountain bike imported into the UK was the original Ridgeback model that first became available in 1983. And the first UK produced mountain bike Was the FW Evans ATB/Saracen ATB that first appeared in the shops in May 1984.

Before Cleland Aventura No.3, there were six custom built prorotypes dating from 1979 onwards. These prototypes built upon the knowledge that Geoff Apps gained from customising existing bikes for off-road use. A process that he began with Tracker style bikes in the mid 1960's.

This bike is well used and practical and most of its parts are original. The two major exceptions being fitting of wider mudguards and the replacement of the standard TA chainset with a ground-braking 'micro-drive' chainset made by Highpath Engineering circa 1987.

The original owner of this bike was famed for wearing unusual hats. Most famous of these was a pith helmet. When Charlie Kelly saw photos he incorrectly assumed that British off-road cyclists often wore pith helmets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back