sad news from Bristol

I watched this all unfolding yesterday, as I'm only about 20 miles from where it happened.

Although an extreme and tragic example, this is the kind of thing I think just about every road cyclist has experienced; drivers who object to our mode of transport, taking a swipe at us. I even had an old boy try to squash me into the curb on CHRISTMAS DAY FFS. Obviously he did not succeed and obviously I did not learn whatever twisted lesson the silly old f*ck was trying to teach me, as I am still using HIS road to ride my bike.

I have already tweeted the recently elected Mayor of Bristol, I am going to back that up with e-mails and a letter, and if anyone else thinks it would be a good idea to alert the Mayor of the first Cycling City in the UK to the kind of abuse cyclist have to endure, just because we use the same roads as other people who choose to travel in cars, then that would at least be something to acknowledge the needless death of two people yesterday.

This is shocking and incrdedibly tragic :( . A 38 year old man handed himself in , lets hope he gets what he deserves , this is less than a mile from my home and I ride along this road to get to Hanham woods .... I'm glad I was in Sheffeild yesterday.

Gravy Monster":3k50olx8 said:
This is shocking and incrdedibly tragic :( . A 38 year old man handed himself in , lets hope he gets what he deserves ,

3 points on his licence and a £50 fine probably. :evil:

EDIT: This is the Mayors e-mail address, if anyone fancies a rant (other than me).

mayor@bristol.gov.uk

NeilM":2u8p4mv6 said:
Gravy Monster":2u8p4mv6 said:
This is shocking and incrdedibly tragic :( . A 38 year old man handed himself in , lets hope he gets what he deserves ,

3 points on his licence and a £50 fine probably. :evil:

Doubt it, probably 2 x death by dangrouse driving I think the max sententence is 9 or 10 years each plus I leaving the accident? 2 year ?So Id say he could well be F###d plus the rest of his life reliving what hes done.

Dont drive or support drivers by the way. RIP to both the deceased and I feel for there familys. Sad.

A bus driver in Bristol took out a cyclist with his bus, and was filmed on CCTV. The cyclist didn't die, but was pretty badly injured, the bus driver got 18 months.

A taxi driver in Solihull hit a cyclist, threw him onto the bonnet of his taxi and then drove for 90 metres until he hit a tree. The cyclist was killed the Taxi driver got 3 points and a £35 fine.

A man parked his car in the cycle lane of a busy road (illegally), opened the door without looking and knocked a cyclist under a bus. The cyclist was killed, the car driver was charged and taken to court and got off with it.

There are a lot more examples.

Nuff sed.

Back