Wheels and Hubs

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Afternoon all,

I have two queries / requests for advice -

1. Any recommendations for good retro rims - preferably ones which are available NOS or close

2. Odd question - can a track hub be used on a road and what are the consequences?

No 2 is odd but i keep seeing track hubs on road bikes - mainly DA ones.

Thanks all, enjoy your Sunday!!!!

retro rims from mavic and campagnolo are all pretty good, then there are other makes less well known but equally as good: nisi, FIR, ambrosio... depends what type/model you want really. It's probably easier to find a little used set of wheels with some suitable rims than it is to find just the rims.

as for track hubs, you've probably seen them on "fixies", but where the front should be compatible (100mm OLN, same as road hubs), the rear will only have a 120mm OLN so not compatible with a road frame (unless it's a very old one) without changing the axle and adding spacers. Also, the seals on track hubs are usually not very good - there generally isn't much dirt on the track, and good seals can also cause more drag.

I think the most retro current rim out there is the MAvic Open Pro CD. Look lovely when built on a classic road bike.

If you can find MA40s they are the best as they have a very similar section to classic tub rims. Planet X had a stock of them last year...

Thanks all, very useful info indeed - why should i be surprised!!

Foz, get packing!!!!!

I hope everyone had a great weekend, well, better than mine - i was working - no fun and no bikes!!

I presume that both the Open Pro and the Mavic are available as new and are still being made.

I know Foz covered a few rims above, but any more options would be appreciated. For the moment, i am just dreaming, but you never know what would pop up on the net!!!!

I should add i have DA hubs without rims and 600 Ultegra - Tri-colour with rims which may need changed and i am considering my options in relation to these two pairs of hubs. Not sure if that helps anyone but it might give you inspiration.

Thanks, all opinions welcome - as always.

fiks":3iiswk5s said:
I disagree on the Open Pro, they look nothing like the old style rims like the MA40 etc.

I agree with you with regard the silver and the black version, but the grey finish on the Open Pro CD does. The shape is not quite right but close enough, but the colour bang on..

with the new open pros, if I'm not mistaken the braking surface is machined after anodising, so it appears silver, not grey or black. In the long run, they look better than the older style, as they don't gradually lose the anodising with braking. But the old style with no machining do look very very nice when new :)

Back