Olympic Gold, US Open, Wimbledon and now the US Open Again!

So far he is looking rather poetic.

I wish there was a Lendl cam.

I find his lack of enthusiasm or expression more entertaining than the tennis, and the tennis is damn good.

I can't believe Murray's balls are dropping out of his shorts again after last time!

Right result...

BBC are bumbling on about "if only he'd won that second set tie break..."

Wouldn't have mattered he'd have just got beaten in five...

Oh, and while I'm on my soapbox, whatever happened to never showing the opposition your weaknesses...? Came out strapped to the hilt and then showed a fondness for buttock fondling - once he was well on the way to defeat.

I don't think it is soap in that box.

Never felt he had it in the bag, even after the first set.

He needed the treatment, it was the appropriate time for it.

Hope you got your bet on, knowing the result as you did.

Not too shabby to maintain the level Andy has over the last few years, given the current crop at the top.

Massive improvement in his temperament, and he is certainly trying to be more genial with his interviews.

:)

Disappointing result but Murray's achievements, over the past 12 months in particular, have been outstanding. They mentioned in commentary on the BBC that, regardless of ranking, it was the Numbers 1 and 2 playing and thinking back Murray has achieved the following in the last year:

French Open - SF loss to Nadal who went on to win a record 7th title

Wimbledon - RU to Federer who got a record equalling 7th title

US Open - Winner

Australian Open - RU to Djokovic who set an Open era record with three consecutive titles

Throw in Olympic Gold (and Silver if you want) and Murray actually has a better record than Djokovic over the same period (although I certainly wouldn't argue that Djokovic shouldn't be ranked No 1).

As above, yesterday was disappointing and for me where the match swung was when Murray wasn't able to convert his complete dominance at the end of the first set/start of the second (was it 16 out of 19 points at one stage?) into a break of serve - in these big matches, they all go through 15 minute or so dips and it's up to the other player to make it count. Djokovic was able to limit the damage and when he got his chance really take advantage in the 3rd set. While Murray certainly did not capitulate, Murray's little rant at the umpire at the end of the 3rd was revealing of the pressure he was under and the fourth set had an air of inevitability about it.

Although I enjoy watching Murray play, I'm a bit too ambivalent to be a fan but his achievements should not be underestimated. 1 win out of 6 Major finals does look a bit worrying though, regardless of who he is playing.

1 out of 6.

Put that into rugby or football terms and would that be a problem?

Tennis is pretty much like conkers when it gets to the final stages.

Murray has done enough to get credit as the greatest player of the modern British era.

I don't think we can ask more.

Another five years may see him win no more slams.

If that is what happens, he will still be the greatest British player of the last hundred years.

Somehow, I don't think that is his plan!

:)

highlandsflyer":37kg08zy said:
1 out of 6.

It isn't football or rugby but since you have made the comparison you could say that Murray risks being the tennis equivalent of Michael Ballack, Mr Runner Up. Made Ballack no less of a top player and same goes for Murray (see list of achievement in last year alone) but would be heartening to see Murray convert near misses in the biggest tournaments into a few more wins. I expect that he will do so but perhaps not in a dramatic flurry of titles.

ededwards":2f7h92e6 said:
highlandsflyer":2f7h92e6 said:
1 out of 6.

It isn't football or rugby but since you have made the comparison you could say that Murray risks being the tennis equivalent of Michael Ballack, Mr Runner Up. Made Ballack no less of a top player and same goes for Murray (see list of achievement in last year alone) but would be heartening to see Murray convert near misses in the biggest tournaments into a few more wins. I expect that he will do so but perhaps not in a dramatic flurry of titles.

Put in a context more relevant to RB, you might also say that Murray is the tennis equivalent of Raymond Poulidor! :)

David

I reckon the England team would be quite happy to win 1 in 6 of the major competitions, rather than one in ninety odd.

Murray is already a winner.

It is the mentality of the British public that is in question.

Back