General anesthetic...And food before a op?

heathy

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm going under the knife tomorrow at 1.30pm and they are putting me to sleep :?
Iv'e never had this done before so would like some advice.
I'm being told to have a light breakfast before 7am, clear fluids only
water,black coffee/tea or clear fizzy drinks until 10am, then nil by mouth :evil:
Is all this absolutely necessary, are they just guidelines that can be bent a little :?: ;) Whats the worst that could happen, if i say had breakfast at say 9-10am instead.
The trouble is that i'm a bit of a food junkie :roll:

Something like a general, I wouldnt risk doing anything against the "rules".......just incase.

I have no idea what the worst that could happen, but I wouldnt like to find out :shock:

When I required a general, I played by the rules ;)

found this through google:

"You will be given instructions about eating/drinking on the day of surgery - it is important to follow
these to prevent sickness/regurgitation whilst asleep."

I guess that's why.

Well, if i'm sick at least i don't have to clean it up :LOL:
Only joking, i will probably follow their rules.
Looking forward to the meal after now already :D Even had a menu :shock:

yes it is in case you are sick and it goes down in your lungs , and you die drowned in your own sick . ;)

cchris2lou":1au1e1ey said:
yes it is in case you are sick and it goes down in your lungs , and you die drowned in your own sick . ;)

*Taken off the NHS website*

You normally won't be allowed to eat or drink anything before having a general anaesthetic. This is because when you are under anaesthetic your body's reflexes are temporarily stopped. If your stomach has food and drink in it, there's a risk of vomiting or regurgitation (bringing up food into the throat). This could spill into your lungs and affect your breathing, as well as causing damage to your lungs.

Back