1989 Rockhopper first ride

Nice job!

Here's a better pic of the 1988 catalog

GroteFoto-RRFBXTOE.jpg

Cheers,
Bart

Re: 1989 Rockhopper first ride finally!

Well finally the weather has stabilized in a good way so time to finally get out on the hopper.

A few minor changes, black seatpost and a full set of silver Biopace, a few bits need polishing properly and a bit of cable surgery.

Half an hour gentle bimble on the road as a shake down then home on some gently bridleways, but it was dry, so went a bit further than intended!

The riding position is taking some getting used to, the reach is perfect, but a fair bit lower, getting used to it tho', the saddle needs cycling shorts! I wore baggies with no liner and it was not fun!!

Shifters in friction mode worked well although I may change to some Shimano I have, it's difficult not to "improve" it without changing it's character, so I will be strong. It will be reserved for rides to remind me of how things used to be.

Pedals will swop to SPD's from the cheapies on there at the moment, I just cannot do straps anymore, I would fall off!

Some of the trails I rode were the same as I rode on my Ridgeback S back in the 80's, I had them to myself then tho'

Great job :D
I wondered what happened to this thread ! Im on " the home straight " with my old hardrock now
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=242664

I know just what you mean about the riding position , i just could not face the original stem and stuck on an old flexstem i had kicking about, im trying to keep costs at rock bottom so im using roughly period parts as they turn up for the right price , ie deore lx sti and mechs and a 300 lx chainset , spesh rims on dx hubs , will post some pics up when i get a mo .

Im feeling inspired to get on with seeing how well yours turned out :D

Cheers Paul.

Nice that, and good job on the paint too. did you ask the decals company if they offer the 'comp' decal too?

just used my 22"+ as the new works bike today, great bike.

RBG

Ta for the comments all.

Graphic Shack don't do the Comp decal but I bet Gil_M does.

I would have got mine from him if I had thought to ask.....Doh.

Latest posts

Back