1988 Campagnolo Chorus groupset with wheels **UPDATED**

tarloone

Retro Guru
*****UPDATE***** Groupset is now sold but the wheels are still available for £100 posted

In my quest to build my first retro bike I appear to have amassed both a C Record and Chorus groupset, having decided to run the C Record...Chorus is up for sale.

Prior to listing, I've checked ebay prices and in most cases I've added four items that most ebay sellers omit, these being the headset, clipless pedals and seatpost . In addition, my crankset, gear levers, front mech and rear mech plate have been painstakingly cleaned and polished by myself prior to sale...The shine on this kit on a bright day is simply spell bindingly stunning!

The specs are as follows
170mm cranks with proper campag 39/52 rings, there is a guage as seen in the pic that the polishing has made more obvious.
27.2mm seatpost
band on front mech
Friction gear levers
Italian headset, I've researched this can be used on BSI threaded frame.
Short cage rear mech (upper pulley is black and barrel adjuster is missing although if running friction, the cable just goes in with out it so still useable) Of course any barrel adjuster from any similar era Campag mech will fit so if you have one, it'll go straight on.

Tho monoplaner calipers have brand new Ultegra pads fitted and although this is just plain heresy in my opinion...I'll concede, they work rather well. The brake levers have rare untorn hoods and are the ones that can be run with cables internal or external, although note that the bungs are missing, although this doesn't affect function

Pedals are the Look licensed versions that are scratched but have bearings that are smooth and play free as new. These alone were £80 back in the day...I bought some in 1991 from Parker mail order!

8420411254_93263da97d_c.jpg

8420408220_4503ea662f_c.jpg

8420414132_dcf203686e_c.jpg

8420413066_cddb5c5e17_c.jpg

8420414790_93d506ce17_c.jpg

I'm looking for £400 inc wheels although may split as I appreciate not everyone uses the same size combo's I have here. I see full groupsets without wheels, headsets, pedals and seatposts regularly go for £250 on the bay so have tried to price realistically...this was a shock though - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271143031909?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm South Midlands based, collection or mutual meet up is preferred but I will post...but only on a fully insured and signed for service.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
i would say them wheels are worth £100, so not aad deal at all. i might even have a sniff around for a frame

Looks a nice package for someone. This Chorus groupset is one of the hardest to truly identify and because of this it's often used by eBay sellers to shift 'anonymous' parts as 'Chorus'.

Can I ask, what identifies your hubs as 'Chorus' as they do resemble Athena, Triomphe, Victory wheels of the same period I ask as we're trying to ID a similar pair in another thread. Though te ckewers look right by the way. Also, I hate to say it but your front derailleur is definitely Victory or Triomphe.

I've known the guy I bought it off for years and also when he got it originally. The hubs have the alloy spacers, and above all else, were the ones that came with the groupset when he ordered it.

You may be right regarding the front mech though.....he changed this from the original braze on when he changed the frame. Guess this 'contamination' means its all now worthless :LOL:

Seriously considering this. Does anyone know if the RD wud work with an 8speed setup? Wud it work fine with sti's? I'm gonna do some net research but any experts on here who can advise?

Well there's no cable adjuster on it but you can compensate with the one on the downtube I guess....

Not seen it done before but reckon it's doable.

Latest posts

Back