Does this look right?

I used to ride crit bars on the road and track back in the 80s. They were quite popular as they reduced the chances of your knees touching the bars when out of the saddle sprinting(at least that was the idea). You got used to the curves when riding on the tops.

I have changed the lever around and placed them as low as I dare. The levers now hit the bars when puuled all the way back so a vast improvement. Thanks all.

Does a quill stem that can take the more modern 31.8 bar size exist? I know I can get a quill to ahead adapter to run an ahead stem but prefer the look of a quill.

I like the look of some of the modern shallow drop bars such as the Cinelli Vai.

Thanks.

RDV demonstrating how to ride on the tops with Cinelli 65's

rouleur-roger-de-vlaeminck-gios-2_zps05c9ec78.jpg

I used and loved 65's through out the 70t's and 80's , unfortunately they don't work well with Campag Ergo's , so I now use a more squarer Ambrosio bar.

First ride on these bars today and, all in all not too bad. I think this is largely down to the bike being quite a chunk shorter than I'm used to. I reckon I'll keep with them for a while and see how I get on.

Yes I've found the same with crit bars, the levers need to mounted slightly lower than normal so that they sit straight on the bar.

Back then it wouldn't have thought as lower than normal.

If old style brake levers are mounted in the current fashion, ie higher up the bars with the part you hold when "on the hoods" pointing upwards, then you can't reach the levers when holding the drops.

Back