Why didn't these catch on???

Old Ned":3nfsql8f said:
Ippikin":3nfsql8f said:
Pic here of Moser's big wheel bike. He is riding with Hinault in the now defunct Baracchi Trophy 2-up TT. I believe this was an 'invite' event. Moser's bike is unconventional to say the least, imagine he did not like cross-winds!

http://a405.idata.over-blog.com/4/02/82 ... rrachi.jpg

That's a standard 700c rear wheel with a 650c front. Never used the big wheel on the road, it was for fixed wheel use only.

2-up TT's aren't defunct, several of them on the CTT calendar.

My error Old Ned I stand corrected!
His rear wheels really were BIG :shock:
Moser's shed article - Big wheel bike pictured amongst these beauties:
http://www.eroicacicli.com/blog/at-mosers/

FINNEY1973

We drilled everything BITD, here's me and you can se the holes in the seat post, about the size of a 1 pence coin LOL

Sad thing is the wind resistance would have gone sky high and if it snpped that would ave been the end of my career :(

15dqsnq.jpg

Shaun

Midlife":36buh1pi said:
FINNEY1973

We drilled everything BITD, here's me and you can se the holes in the seat post, about the size of a 1 pence coin LOL

Sad thing is the wind resistance would have gone sky high and if it snpped that would ave been the end of my career :(

Shaun

Tremendous Shaun, liking the effort being exerted in that photo and that's a lovely looking bike indeed. So was this drillium done on a scientific basis or did you just drill until you thought you'd reached the point where it looked like 'any more and that's going to break'? Drilling a seatpost just seems a bit erm madcap to me as like you say it could have had dire consequences had it snapped.

You still got that bike by the way?

The Moser bike is this one?

Attachments

• PA021732.JPG
    PA021732.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 478
  • PA021731.JPG
    PA021731.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 478
ededwards":1yoli2i7 said:
The Moser bike is this one?

Indeed, I cant work out whether it's brilliant or totally stupid?!? I think it's the bb to rear axle and subsequent chain angle that has me baffled the most.

where and when were those photos taken if you dont mind me asking? edit - it's on the damn poster right behind the bike - that 5.2% ale last night has obviously killed off more brain cells!

Ed's beaten me to it in terms of the photo as I was behind the camera. i remember the stir it caused at the time as disc wheels were totally new. No one realised what a liabilty a front disc was in any sort of wind either.i'm not sure whether it was the wheels or Conconi that helped most?

Back