More Hope Questions ?

heavyp

Retro Guru
Not to savvy with how it all works but I have Hope c2's but have always loved the M4 lever as that was the first brake I ever bought myself.

If i was to get m4 levers could I run them with my c2 callipers ?

Im trying to do a rerto build but im torn between keeping the brakes old mixing them up or getting a whole set od m4's that wont match the era but won't look to out of place

no, the caliper won't work with the lever because you would be mixing open and closed systems, if it was an o2 caliper as opposed to a c2 it might work, they look the same but the insides are subtly different.

Sorry guys I have so many questions that I need answered that are annoying me let alone anyone else.

After finding out I cant mix the brakes which I should of known.

So Im in 2 minds do I go Hope c2's with pro levers or maybe a bit newer and go the m4 which I have owned in the past and loved and the levers are the best looking with the square reservoir.

So the hubs im going for are Big Un's always wanted them and were the dh hub of choice back in the day (late 90's early 00's)

The big un is only available in a 5 bolt pattern hub right ?

Can you get m4 rotors in a 5 bolt pattern ?

Could I run the c2 rotors I have with m4's ? (Im guessing not as there a far bit wider on the braking surface)

and finally how do I find out what caliper I need ? Currently have a c2 number 6 on the front running boxxers but I would love a 203 ? is that correct

The rear is a c2 number 3 exactly the same size hole spacing as the 6 at the front but its running a 160/165 disc but Id love a 185 on the rear ?

Does any of this sound plausible ? sorry if this frys your brain a bit.

I have had a number of hope brakes on my Boxxers since new fitted to my Bullitt and running Big Un's

The 6 (boxxer) and 3 (international standard) spacing may be the same but a 3 won't fit a Boxxer

You could get a +20 mount which would take the rear to 185 (as I've done on my Bullitt) or a +40 mount to 205

I have run, C2, Enduro 4, M4 and Mono M4 each a number 6 caliper and in 5 bolt.

C2 was 185, Enduro 4 was 205 as was the M4 was a 205 and the Mono M4 is a 200 5 bolt ( actually ill measure that tomorrow to confirm I think the 3
Ending disks were for post mount set ups not disk tabs as I've only ever had 0 or 5 disks with tabs)

You could run the C2 rotors but I wouldn't choose to

The M4 runs the same pads as the DH4 and E4 brakes, which means you can use the old lightning bolt rotors which I still love (it's the only saving grace of my useless M4's).

I've had M4s and DH4s and the DH4s were definitely better.

C2s are becoming a nightmare to maintain as there are no spares left - and there are problems with the top cap circlip that wears over time, eventually falling off and damaging the thread on the top cap.

Best Hope brakes I've had from that generation were DH4s with Pro levers. But they bite very hard and weigh a ton. Otherwise the original minis (not the monos) perform very well too.

Is it a tolerance thing or does the internet lie ?
So Im trying for hope big uns and they have a 5 pattern disc and Im going to go for m4 brakes.

From my memory when I had m4 the front rotor was 203mm ?

Ive seen that you can get 5 pattern m4 rotors but there sold as 205mm ?

why? and what problems will in cause if any ?

They use all three!

The Mono M4's use either 200 or 203 depending on IS or PM mount.

The original M4's (the ones with the Mini lever) would be 205 assuming that you use a number 3 caliper with a plus 20 adapter. The number 3 is a 185 for that brake.

The original M4 number 8 caliper ran a 205mm rotor.

As far as I can remember you can't get one for the Boxxer mount, so you'll be stuck with a 185mm brake rotor.

My old E4's had no issues stopping my Big Hit which was a shade over 40lbs.

Back