My 1998 Giant TCR

Hey, just came across this. I had the same silver one too, alas it was a small so I sold it on but I have another now in lime green/yellow. I've had the seatpost, wheels and stems but find the stem a bit too flexy so don't use them, got a few different length seatposts knocking around and a set of the wheels here I don't use. Gonna put together a totally over speced TCR this spring with a DA7700 group I've been collecting so will put pics up. Not sure which frame to use yet, I have 3 different ones. Maybe I'll put pics of the frames up and you guys can help decide.

Very cool bike. I´m restoring a 2002 Giant TCR Team Once, I was truly amazed by the frame´s weight. I didn´t expect to read on my scale 1200 grams, specially being a frame with 10 years. I´m currently fitting it with a modern Shimano 105 set (10spd), Mavic Aksium Race wheels and some FSA bits.

Realy like the looks on yours, and the fact it is almos in its original condition. Do you know precise total weight? I´m expecting mine to be under 8,5 Kg. And that fork, is it orginal to the bike?

migueltreze":308i0nes said:
Very cool bike. I´m restoring a 2002 Giant TCR Team Once, I was truly amazed by the frame´s weight. I didn´t expect to read on my scale 1200 grams, specially being a frame with 10 years. I´m currently fitting it with a modern Shimano 105 set (10spd), Mavic Aksium Race wheels and some FSA bits.

Realy like the looks on yours, and the fact it is almos in its original condition. Do you know precise total weight? I´m expecting mine to be under 8,5 Kg. And that fork, is it orginal to the bike?
That's an original fork, from the early models which had a 1" threaded steerer. I'm guessing yours has a 1 1/8" ahead with semi-integrated headset.
I also have an ONCE replica but earlier than yours (2000). I've pretty much decided to build it with the Dura Ace groupset I have waiting. Let me know when you get yours under way and some photos up.

riddim-track":kxbqtxm7 said:
That's an original fork, from the early models which had a 1" threaded steerer. I'm guessing yours has a 1 1/8" ahead with semi-integrated headset.
I also have an ONCE replica but earlier than yours (2000). I've pretty much decided to build it with the Dura Ace groupset I have waiting. Let me know when you get yours under way and some photos up.

No, fork diameter is 1", normal headset. Please find here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 68#1804168 the thread for my "rebuild". Would also like to see yours, very curious about the final "Dura Ace" result. Do you have a topic here on the forum?

migueltreze":2lfckvvh said:
riddim-track":2lfckvvh said:

No, fork diameter is 1", normal headset. Please find here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 68#1804168 the thread for my "rebuild". Would also like to see yours, very curious about the final "Dura Ace" result. Do you have a topic here on the forum?

Ah, didn't see your thread yet, I'll post there instead of continue to hijack this one ;)

Re:

Hi new to this forum and just built a 1998 giant tcr compact . trying to get pictures on but file is to big. bare with me please

Re:

Hi all, I have a 2000 ex ONCE team bike, in the fluorescent yellow team colours, with the ONCE logo pantographed into the head tube and BB, it is stupid light for an Aluminium frame at 895 grams, it also has a full carbon fork, (blades and steerer) which is original, with the fish scale artwork on it, it climbs like a goat and with mostly carbon Record group and selected lightweight 3T parts weighs in at just 7 kilos. It can be a bit harsh on our local and badly maintained roads, but is an excellent ride and probably still pretty competitive.

Re:

Here's mine ,

Sadly now in landfill . After I stopped racing , I used it as a road bike . Very harsh , as already mentioned , but light . Mine had 9-speed Ultegra on it . Got a rattling from the down tube bottle boss , found out that a crack had appeared in the frame on either side of the boss .

Mike

Attachments

• Me flying along !.jpg
    Me flying along !.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2,027
Re:1998 giant tcr

Got some pics up now.

Attachments

• 20140715_112754_1.jpg
    20140715_112754_1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,025
  • 20140715_112407_1.jpg