Doncaster - Sprotbrough - Conisbrough Loop - Aftermath

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

Well, a great ride was had for the guys that attended, Unclejack, Fluffychicken, Chrisv40 and myself.

We started as planned at the lock side public car park and followed the north bank of the river Don all the way to Conisbrough. Making a few stops to take some nice pictures and mess about in the snow, Chrisv40 had some great fun chucking snowballs around the place. Bless him. We took the south bank of the river on the way back which was quite technical in places and saw the highest usage of foul language all day.

The ride totalled only 8.41 miles by my GPS but we all agreed that it seemed more than double the mileage due to the hard going sludgy and snowy terrain. I seemed to spend more time going sideways than in a straight line.

Details of the ride can be seen here: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2094577

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/retrobike.southyorkshire

Points of interest were:

Sprotbrough Lock
Conisborough Viaduct
Conisbrough Castle
The Boat Inn, Sprotbrough ;-)

The going was actually heavier than expected but the ride was still very enjoyable, not too cold and a great laugh was had by all. I think we all had a tumble or two during the ride and on several occasions we were all caught pushing the bikes where the snow made the going too tough. We have also agreed that with some extra mileage added this would be a great route when the weather is not so wet. It can be easily lengthened by extending the ride along the north bank of the river Don to Mexbrough, this would make a nice figure of eight route. I'll be working on it over the next month or so. The end plan being to have it added as one of our monthly rides, totalling 20 miles or so.

Pictures below:

GEDC2036.jpg

GEDC2044.jpg

GEDC2047.jpg

GEDC2051.jpg

GEDC2055.jpg

Chris did a little happy wee after knocking down the bikes with snowballs

GEDC2058.jpg

Conisbrough Viaduct

GEDC2062.jpg

GEDC2065.jpg

GEDC2066.jpg

GEDC2068.jpg

GEDC2081.jpg

GEDC2085.jpg

GEDC2096.jpg

GEDC2103.jpg

GEDC2109.jpg

GEDC2114.jpg

Im a little Teapot

GEDC2118.jpg

GEDC2120.jpg

GEDC2123.jpg

Cheers for a great ride Rich, cant wait to try it when its dry!

I dont think I've ever spent so much time falling off a bike before.

Great pics too mate ;)

Trebz allegedly having a rest! Overcooking the corner more like it eh mate ;)

Attachments

• 318082_10200546716133490_2057905425_n.jpg
    318082_10200546716133490_2057905425_n.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,094
well it was gunna be a local ride for me today.but when i woke up the weather looked so good with blue skys r lass said " i know you...you'll go off on your own and do something daft. i'd rather you had company" so it was i turned up unexpectedly at Doni. Bloomin glad i did too. we had a great day, the weather was really quite kind (better than tomorrow?) & its a great loop trebz has put together. the technical bits were far more fun it the snow than a long trudge would have been with loads of opportunitys for photos (you got some really good ones there. cheers mate!)
Really good ride. Watch out for this one in future. :D

I'd like to try that in the dry too, done a bit of walking round there as I've got friends in Conisborough.
Matthew

Matthews":3cx8yrfp said:
I'd like to try that in the dry too, done a bit of walking round there as I've got friends in Conisborough.
Matthew

Keep your eyes peeled them Matthew, my Recce and this impromptu ride were only the beginning of a nice little figure of eight I'm working on for us.

Back