Riding in January has been a washout. Discuss

I am proper down in the dumps

All the way up to Christmas I was gym x3 a week and riding at least 80 miles a weekend.

So far think I have got in with weather and illness about 3 gym sessions and two rides :cry: piss poor and actually pretty gutted with it .

I had a cracking first couple of weeks in Jan, 251 miles on and off road, then I got the Flu which turned into a chest infection so pretty peed off, almost three weeks off the bike now.

:evil:

Off road's not been so bad, got wet'n'muddy in Bristol, twice, again in FoD and covered in ice and slush in the local woods. I suppose one to one and a half hours each time out. It has all been bridleways and trail centres though, as they have been the only places that are not axle deep in mud.

Road, has just been a hours dash after work every other day or so.

As far as longer rides are concerned; you're right Jan has been a complete wash out.

Sounds like for most here it has been illness rather than the weather that has curtailed activities. I found the snow to have been the biggest inconvenience, although this forced me onto a MTB for a few days of rather enjoyable snow riding...until the bike died :LOL:

I don't know if it's just me but these viruses that do the rounds seem to be more vicious each year or am i getting older and less resistant?

To summarise, this post is an ungentlemanly ruse to ferment self-doubt amongst potential Gospel Pass riders in order for The Machiavellian Edwards, who will be clearly superfit and on 200 mls / week to trounce everyone on home turf!

You are rumbled sir :LOL:

only put 2 pounds on over christmas and was getting out a fair bit.but the snow has put a stop to it in recent weekends. been rainning here today and a big melt.so better get out tomorrow :D

I haven't done a lot thanks to sore knees. Reading above though, it appears that the more riding you do, the iller you get. I have had this theory for a while. Once you hit a certain fitness threshold, you get all the health benefits that the powers that be are always on about.

Go beyond that though and the immune system takes a back seat to conditioning and muscles. Once your BMI gets down to a certain level you seem to get a lot more illness.

Also, many of us are at the age where we have small kids in the house and small kids = lots of viruses.

grumpycommuter":2hzvtqv3 said:
To summarise, this post is an ungentlemanly ruse to ferment self-doubt amongst potential Gospel Pass riders in order for The Machiavellian Edwards, who will be clearly superfit and on 200 mls / week to trounce everyone on home turf!

I am flattered that this thread is seen as part of a grand plan but you are wrong here as your choice of après ride headwear.

A combination of rubbish weather and mental rather than physical malaise means that I have done just shy of bugger all. Still, once I have finished watching the death throes of Murray-Djokovic, I'm going to rectify that.

I would like to think the opposite to the theory given. During December every member of our family was ill , I was right amongst it including nursing my mum/niece that were that bad I stayed off work for the day as neither to even get out of bed :shock: Sleeping in same bed as ill mrs and the snot master boy who still at the age of 9 needs to be told to put his hand over mouth when sneezing :roll:

Now I was hard at the gym and riding both weekend days and eating pretty well and didnt so much get a sniff .... This stopped at Christmas for 10 days and all went to pot pretty quick , I have been non-stop aching , been ill and generally bloody miserable (whats new I hear you cry!!).

Tomorrow I am back at the gym for a 5 day stint to get me back in the game !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back