Impromtu towpath ride 27/1/13 aftermath Included.

Matthews

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well there's 3 of us so far (Marc, Stu and myself) meeting at 11 at the carpark of Bramley Fall Woods for a bimble into Leeds and out the other side on the Aire n Calder, will be anything between 15 and 20ish miles dependent on where we decide to turn round , relatively flat and smooth so nice n easy, anybody else want to join all are welcome ,
Matthew

Hopefully if I've done it right this will give you the meet point
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid= ... 9,0.002242

Please not updated meet point as I cocked it up first time round (I usually just use OS grid ref's but I know some of you don't so this is the first attempt at using google maps).
Matthew

A look-back on today's ride along the aire and calder. starting off in bramley park along to leeds centre then, across to thwaite mills, hunslet.

Despite a few very slippy sections we got a good gallop on covering 18 miles or there abouts.

thanks matthews for the route guidance and stu for company.

matthews, marc two tone, slmracing.

Royal armouries, Leeds.

PICT0051-2.jpg

Anything for traction was a big help.

PICT0046-4.jpg

marc's machine for the ride.

PICT0045-3.jpg

travel plans on ice for rosie and jim.

PICT0047-2.jpg

The thawing snow was hazardous in spots but, was melting to liquid by the minute. a few hairy moments with front wheel wash outs. poor old slm was on centre-ridge, did ok though ;)

Thwaite mill, leeds. in flood and closed for mills visits, however we were allowed a hot drink in the gift shop.

PICT0054-3.jpg

PICT0052-3.jpg

The apparent 'thwaite henge'. when in rome, a virgin sacrificed( tell nobody, right!) ;)

PICT0057.jpg

time to dry the panaracers off.

PICT0058-1.jpg

The next few miles back through leeds was a blurr, trying to warm up again.
As per usual, river through Leeds, a tad swollen.

PICT0050-5.jpg

On to kirkstall abbey.a lovely place with a impressive riverside location.

PICT0062.jpg

PICT0061-1.jpg

PICT0059-3.jpg

That's the last stop til back at the carpark, a couple of miles away.
All in, a good flat ride taking in some awesome tudor and georgian architecture. a good chance to get used to a bike again after a big lay-off.

see you agian chaps, raverscar!

marc.

cheers for pics;makes me feel home sick for Yorkshire
snows all gone upp norf :D been out for a ride hell of a headwind
on the beach today .see everyone at ravenscar

Bike's washed, washing machine's full again !, I've had a nice long hot bath time for some wine n food.
Oh and I've pulled my crown out of the malt bread and given it a scrub , hopefully they'll be able to glue it back on tomorrow.
Cheers guys it was nice to go out with company again .
Matthew

Looks like a great ride guys. Loving the usual inclusion of something historical.

Well done chaps.

:)

Thank you Matthew for putting on the ride, and Marc for coming along in not the best conditions, I feel loads better for getting out on the bike, I have worked in Leeds many times over the years and can not believe what I have discovered today :shock: the only problem for me was not the Marin as the build is just how I wanted it, the centre ridge modern tyres however that came with the bike did not get on with the ice, and being clipped in next to a frozen canal made things very interesting, we were all sideways on many occasions but it was me that crashed within the first mile :oops: :oops: anyway I feel tired but very satisfied with today's events, really looking forward to Ravenscar next weekend, Fish and chips at Robin Hoods Bay, my mouth is watering at the thought

See you all next week

Thanks

Stuart

Latest posts

Back