Doncaster - Sprotbrough - Conisbrough Loop - 26/01/13

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

Short notice 'Impromptu' ride to substitute the Ravenscar ride cancellation:

Doncaster - Sprotbrough - Conisbrough Loop

Start: Public car park near the Boat Inn Pub, Nursery Lane Sprotbrough DN5 7NB - http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/theboatinnsprotbrough/

Time: 10:30 For a 11:00 Start

Distance: 15 miles approximately.

Terrain: Doubletrack / Singletrack / Woods / Towpath / Slight Technical 80% off road

Difficulty Rating: 2/5

Duration: Approx 3-4 hours. (I completed it in 2 hours last weekend)

No Helmet - No Ride

Be ready for a cold ride ladies and gentlemen, wrap up well and bring some bin liners for your feet and hands. Balaclava's are allowed. Here's the ride I did last weekend: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239417

The ride starts at the canal lock at Sprotbrough and runs anticlockwise along the north bank of the river Don, taking in some great river bank riding, some medium level technical woodland trail and a stop off at Conisbrough castle along the way.

I have yet to find a suitable food stop so bring along some snacks. Don't worry too much however as you will not be too far away from a hot sarnie shop I'm guessing.

Conisbrough Castle: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/conisbrough-castle/#Right

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conisbrough02.jpg

Conisbrough01.jpg

The car park on Nursery Lane:

Conisbrough03.jpg

My street has been gritted and ploughed, I live in an estate area and the road is usable. This will mean that local main roads will be ok to use and well salted. The route however will be 3" to 4" deep in snow.

It's gonna be a tough one.

Pictures will be taken and a flask of tea will be at hand,

Only spotted this now (10.20 sat am ) so won't be there , would still like to get out tom though.
Matthew

Matthews":16u8554z said:
Only spotted this now (10.20 sat am ) so won't be there , would still like to get out tom though.
Matthew

Gutted for you mate, I think it's going to be a nice little sunny / snowy bimble. Chris and Ben are on their way to my place now. We are then jumping in Ben;s car and driving the short distance to the start point.

We'll take plenty of pic's as usual hehe.

Was a surprise to see UncleJack in the car park which was just like in the picture above well if you imagined it.

We went miles and miles and miles at a tremendous pace. When Trebz say technical, he means it, so technical I ended up at the bottom of a slope with the bike at the top, bunny hoping over fallen trees was something we tried to learn and actually just riding forward was a challenge in itself.
All wrapped up with a nice break at a castle and a swift post ride pint.

Also filling up my screen wash with the dregs of mine and Chris's bladders see I could see where I was going, damn the dirty spray from the roads.

Back