Ludite Requires Help.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Hi all. I'm taking a few parts off a Canondale frame. It's way newer than the bikes I own. So, I have a couple of questions.

The bike has a Mega 9 groupset on it including a Hollowtech crank. How do I get that off? Is it two 10mm Alen keys from either end of the bottom bracket? If so, which way do I turn. The bike has no wheels or chain on it so I'm sure it will prove tricky either way.

If I get that off, will the BB come off with my usual tools?

It has a shock at the back! (What will they think of next?). It says, "Risse Racing Technology. Genesis. Custom built by CVI," on it. Will bad do do happen if I take it off? Is it under compression or tension?

Thanks all.

I think that is octalink (hollowtech one) which would need an 8mm allen key, a crank extractor (with isis fitment i think) and then an isis bb tool as i recall though some use the splined tool also which is used on most square taper bb's.

If they have bolts both sides the cranks are Hollowtech I and will be running in an Octalink bottom bracket.

You can use a normal crank extractor, but you'll need a little plug thing to put in the axle first because the Hollowtech I axle is bigger than that of an old square taper. Without this, the extractor will just push against thin air.

I got the cranks off chaps. I had to cut a very large bolt down to put inside the hollow bit with a washer at one end to stop the end of the bolt pushing through the weird looking crank bolts.

Now I am stuck because my BB tool won't fit. But, as I only needed the cranks off for now anyway, it's a result!

Now for that shock. Thanks all.

Back