naming trails, a bit of a rant.

N/B":3f5fdfjz said:
I'm not personally sure what 'mountain biking' is any more. All I know is that the videos that make me smile usually involve people going big & technical off-road on bikes that may or may not have suspension.
Some of it might be 'dirt jumping', some of it might be 'DH'.
What's Red Bull Rampage? DH, or 'Mountain Biking'?

It's doing what all sports that do not have a set of rigid rules do and that is evolving. It's like the resurrection of skateboarding, now longboarding has gained popularity there are people out there finding new ways to ride a bit of wood and 4 wheels, long boards are a lot easier to ride and are making skating open up to a wider of people. There are many types of skating, street, park, bowl, downhill, free ride, slalom, dancing, cruising, slide but when all is said and done it's still skateboarding.
The same with bikes, there's xc, downhill, free ride, road, trial, track etc etc it's all cycling. All this trail centre malarky, it's a good thing, so what if you get posers so what if there is car park snobbery, get on your bike and let them gawp in awe at your fantastic retro ride skills. These are the kind of people who keep the cycle industry alive whether they ride their carbon 12" travel downhill monster on a cycle path once a year or are constantly buying the latest .006grm weight saving stem with added helium. Not a bunch of sad old gits who are obsessed by bikes made 10-25 years ago ;) .

The Black Run Boys, can't ride for shit, ok that made me smile but at least they have got out there and got bikes and started riding instead of sitting in the pub or playing golf. How about showing them how it's done ?

Or not. ;)

B77":av4cnkva said:
The Black Run Boys, can't ride for shit, ok that made me smile but at least they have got out there and got bikes and started riding instead of sitting in the pub

The way I read it they were riding _as well as_ sitting in the pub -- best of both worlds :)

I like the naming of trails, it helps you picture what and where they are. You can plan a ride by naming and linking trails together, people who know the venue know the trails and get what your planning. Lets go ride that steep trail that goes round the corner to the left over the rooty rocky bit, you know the one etc doesn't help much if all the trails look similar.
I've named a few features of my backyard trails to help me and those I know get where i intend to ride such as 'The Devils Coal Chute' and 'George's Nemesis' plus 'Mindf**k Hill'.
Also regularly ride trail centres on retro or new dependent on mood. I defy anyone to ride around Glentress for a couple of hours and not finish with a grin of satisfaction.
Riding is what you make of it not what others think you should believe ;)

I've been to a few trail centres this year, mostly down to the weather. The thing I have noticed is that they appear to be packed almost all the time, and even when I have dropped in for a coffee while passing during the week, there are always people there. This has got to be a good thing, in that people are out, riding and spending money on bikes and gear.

As for the skills on display, well, I have to say the full suss guys, with the neck braces and the full face helmets perched on the top of their heads bouncing up and down on the suspension and pulling (short and mostly out of control) wheelies make me laugh.

The only guys that really grate, and I say this as a man approaching his 54th birthday, are the fat old guys with all the gear and no idea, who will not pull off the trail when being rapidly caught up. Or, as in the case of a guy the other week, who do stop, but right in the middle of the trail on a hairpin corned and on a climb... yeah thanks mate!

I don't mind that they are fat, I don't mind that they are unfit, both of those will be taken care of with enough riding, what bothers me is the mentality that because they have the latest numpty thousand pound bike, that I am not allowed to pass them, rather than just enjoying the trail at their own speed, happy to share the facility with fellow riders.

Ah well, takes all sorts I guess.

As for the names; most of the trails around here have sensible names like Yer Tiz and Verderers etc. Look on Strava at some of the cheeky trails, and that's when I start to wonder at riders mental ages ;)

1210tech":3kreocj6 said:
Chute55uk":3kreocj6 said:
1. retro is as welcome as a fart in a space suit at these places (trail centres)

You had me up to the statement above, I have taken both the Paces to trail centres around the UK and I never get any response other than admiration & respect from complete strangers, I've even been asked if I wanted to sell and also told never to sell and keep riding them ;)

I had a few stop in their tracks and stare in disbelief when i had my 94 Manitou FS at Glentress, plenty of "nice bike" and "wow a Manitou" etc, wonder how many Manitou FS's have been hammered down Spooky woods :twisted:

Got loads of admiration for my old LTS DH too :cool:

Back