Sid Mottram 1950/60

predki":fe9g52ym said:
I didn't manage to achieve all things planned for this week, but the next step is done. I covered the handlebar with hand made DIY leather 'Almarc'-like cover. It took me many hours... And effects? Hmm... satisfying. The colour could be closer to the bike colour, but anyway, good enough for me.

main.php
main.php

I'll post a thread with tutorial how it has been done, maybe someone will have a use of my experience.

This the source of the idea

For now all pictures here

Beautiful bike and I owe you a big drink for the link above! I'm planning to do the same thing with leather covers. I've been doing some experimenting, and your right, its takes FOREVER! I've been using a different stitch pattern using two needles, I can see from the link I've been making life even harder for myself!

I started trying to pre-lace the leather then tighten it onto the bars. That didn't work very well as the thread was to tight in the holes. Next attempt I'll stitch as I go along. What did you soak the leather in before fitting?

I'm just waiting on the leather to arrive then I'm going for the final version.

Thanks all of you!
What did you soak the leather in before fitting?
Warm water for 10-15 minutes before I've had started and again in the middle of the job, when the leather started to dry.
I started a thread about making it here.

Some updates for the saddle... Transplant surgery were successful. Doctor made everything what is possible. Patient is stable and recovering. Only stitches remind of his serious condition before...
main.php
main.php
main.php
main.php

There's something very appealing about the side view of this bike upthread... I think part of it is the very strong horizontal.. The horizontal line is getting to be a lost art in bikes these days! I was going to suggest routing the brake cable behind the bars and losing about 3 inches of it, but I'm wondering if the way it is now is enhancing that strong horizontal line. Those Fiamme bars have a lot of horizontality too.. drops and tops... wouldn't be the same with, for example, Cinelli Criterium... that's for sure!

A very handsome bike.. and I think part of that is the way you've set it up.. the seatpost and stem seem to be at just the right height. Brooks Swallow and Campag. seatpost is an unbeatable combination functionally and aesthetically anyway.. Those exposed Brooks rails.. yet more horizontality.. The whole thing just looks like it wants to go... ➡️ ➡️ ..forward!

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the leather work, too.

Thanks!
With cable routing I choose the most natural way and for now it's too long, because I'm going to play with it few times, so I'll always have place for clean cut at the end and won't need a new one or have frayed end. But it will stay under the bar like it is now.
Brooks swallows are the best looking saddles, particularly the old ones. I have one brand new and it's not the same... This one is somehow more aggressive in look, tensioned so much, like a bow. So slim, just enough material to support the rider, not too much, hard as a plank of wood btw ;). Bigger, copper rivets make it look even better. When I finished repair, fixed on the seatpost and polished it a bit I tought: "that's f****** good!" :cool:
The setup is more or less (rather more) as I ride (this is not ridden yet, but already I was seated on it of course).
I love the "slimness" of old bikes, tubes, stays, rims. I fitted the 21mm tyres to make it more skinny.

Back