I don't know what everyone's problem with Halfords is....

I worked in Halfords BITD, as a spotty 15 year old, it funded my MTB habit. I have no problem with them at all, and think that certain stores where there is a lack of knowledge lets down the many others where there is a surprising amount of knowledge. On a Sunday, or in the evening when you need something while working on your bike, and all other bikeshops are closed, they can be a lifesaver.

Pyro Tim":256bhfug said:
I worked in Halfords BITD, as a spotty 15 year old, it funded my MTB habit. I have no problem with them at all, and think that certain stores where there is a lack of knowledge lets down the many others where there is a surprising amount of knowledge. On a Sunday, or in the evening when you need something while working on your bike, and all other bikeshops are closed, they can be a lifesaver.

agree :) i snapped a chain once just as i started my 9 mile journey home - i happen to work opposite a Halfords.
i went in, bought a new chain and fitted it (they leant me a chain tool) and was back on the road within 20mins. i like Halfords for this reason (and its also the reason i like bikes so much). just being able to nip into a shop and fix my bike. couldn't have done that with my car!

second story - same place again - just left for home and my rear mech gets caught up in my wheel, snaps and bends my rear mech hanger (99 FSR Elite). i nip into halfords, show them the mech hanger and they order the part there and then - amongst chatter about the bike itself and how 'sick' it was :p still had to walk home though :(

friendly enough and seem pretty knowledgable as far as i can tell.
i used to work in Halfords in the car part department (17 at the time). the store i worked in had a good rep for car audio and bike expertise - and i held it down for the car part department :) i've changed batteries and headlight bulbs on many different cars i can tell thee :)

of course there are some muppets, but you can spot these a mile off. never spent much in Halfords since i stopped working for them.
i do like a rummage in their bargain bins though :)

dyna-ti":29x4zu7j said:
rosstheboss":29x4zu7j said:
cyfa2809":29x4zu7j said:
What is the problem?

QRs on the wrong side, a little pernickity perhaps.....

I didnt realise QR's had a side,far as i can see they exert the same pressure each side :?

Rear one usually has the lever on the non-drive side for convenience when popping the wheel out if nowt else. CX pedants often reverse the front skewer to stop the lever catching on clothing when shouldering the bike....yup, I have done that in the past (switched the skewer that is, not snagged my racing kit on the QR lever)! ;)

David

there is no big issue with the skewers being on the "wrong" side - its easily rectified. But it shows that the person who sent the bike out isnt really aware of the protocols of how things are generally set up, which is surprising from someone in the trade.

for those that reckon the skewer could become levered open due to a clash of wheels or a stick, I reckon you're not doing them up tight enough. No wonder lawyers lips exist on forks.

Its true that some of their stores bargain bins have some real gems in them - old series Deore mechs for a fiver and the like.

Their boardman range of bikes is second to none in value for money terms. For a set value, there is nothing else that can compete in terms of spec.

I've heard halfords are about to take on some big brands like Pinarello, colnago etc on the road front. all rumour, dont know how true it is.

pigman":3bliw2fz said:
I've heard halfords are about to take on some big brands like Pinarello, colnago etc on the road front. all rumour, dont know how true it is.

The Pinarello deal is done and stock should start appearing around March.

It looks like they will be stocking bikes up to around £3,500 which seems sensible. The reason Halfords got the deal is because Pinarello have seen unprecedented demand for their bikes and want to be able to meet that demand.

As for the skewers on the Boardman pictured. Perhaps it is the RB membership that are out of step with the new conventions :shock: After all, it is known that Chris Boardman is an absolute stickler for detail.

Crantinope":19rxm0x0 said:
NeilM":19rxm0x0 said:
I really don't get why people are against Halfords, if you don't like them, don't use them.

Most of us have had problems with halfords and were doing it to warn others.Why are you against us doing so? got shares in them have we?

My story is them levering off the upper race on a CK witha screwdriver snapping a bit off in the process,that and gubbing a pair of marzocchi z2 bams i had FROM NEW :evil: They did a service themselves[few years back] but being unfamiliar with them had one of their slightly more experienced cyclists do the work and he left the circlip off the top of the rebound cartridge totally knackering it so it couldnt be adjusted
Their HIGHLY ******* PROFESSIONAL STAFF THEY RAVE ABOUT ON THE ADVERTS ARE MOSTLY CHILDREN fresh out of school on their first job
Yet halfords advertise them as highly trained and allow them to set up bikes that for the most part kids are going to use.But you think we should not say anything about these practises.

Sorry m8 but youre completely wrong
Completely

I was always told that with Disc's the Skewer handle should be the same side as the rotor. On the rear its easier to undo that way anyway. but my front faces back and the rear faces forward but tucked up as close to the stay as possible.

I worked for Halfords for about a year when I was 21, they sent me on a bike mechanic and wheel building course in Redditch. The thing was that when I wasn't working the bikes were assembled by the work experience kids or the Saturday staff. At xmas there were so many bikes going out that a lot were being badly set up by people that didn't have a clue. I remember a lad going out on an Apollo Atomic, set up by a work experience kid, the first kerb he got to he lifted the front wheel and it dropped straight out was caught by the brakes and well you can guess the rest, his face wasn't a pretty sight. Looking back on it it's lucky they didn't have the arse sued off them....

The manager had an immaculate Roberts road bike with a beautiful campag set up and regularly rode it the 20 miles(he said) to work, unbeknownst to him one of the cashiers used to watch him being dropped of every day by his wife about 2 miles away from the shop :LOL: The management had some great air miles scams going too. Mind you I did leave with a lovely grey Stumpjumper, and a Stumpjumper comp amongst other things ;)

dyna-ti":13ls9nvs said:
Crantinope":13ls9nvs said:
NeilM":13ls9nvs said:
I really don't get why people are against Halfords, if you don't like them, don't use them.

Most of us have had problems with halfords and were doing it to warn others.Why are you against us doing so? got shares in them have we?

My story is them levering off the upper race on a CK witha screwdriver snapping a bit off in the process,that and gubbing a pair of marzocchi z2 bams i had FROM NEW :evil: They did a service themselves[few years back] but being unfamiliar with them had one of their slightly more experienced cyclists do the work and he left the circlip off the top of the rebound cartridge totally knackering it so it couldnt be adjusted
Their HIGHLY **** PROFESSIONAL STAFF THEY RAVE ABOUT ON THE ADVERTS ARE MOSTLY CHILDREN fresh out of school on their first job
Yet halfords advertise them as highly trained and allow them to set up bikes that for the most part kids are going to use.But you think we should not say anything about these practises.

:LOL: you numpty :LOL: what on earth possessed you to take them there in the first place?

Sorry m8 but youre completely wrong
Completely

Back