I don't know what everyone's problem with Halfords is....

cyfa2809":1qk4lywy said:
Have said it before, they should be on the left side and pointing directly backwards.
Just wondering if i missed anything.
The fact my maxle one is on the wrong side really peeves me.

My friend Spike (ex British Cycling Team mechanic and once voted worlds best bike mechaninc!!!!) explained the problems of rear facing skewers to me.....simple as this..."if someone is cycling close behind you i.e. in a peleton....they could "clip" the skewer with their tyre, and flip it open"
....quite a sensible theory!!

Just a thought... :)

For road bikes they could go upwards i guess, makes a bit more sense. Then they could still hit any part of your bike and crash.
For mtb, rear facing means in the unlikely event of a stick or similar getting caught in there, it should brush back out rather than knock it open.

At least they aren't just turned (screwed in) in open position with tip facing downwards as I've seen few times. :shock: (not Halfords)

I can't see a problem with the front but the back I would always try and fit the lever on the opposite side of the gears just for ease of use mostly

Mine face upward and i always make sure theyre as close to the stay or fork leg as possible,i suppose it offers some protection to anything catching on it.

Im more scared of the front wheel lifting out on some serious braking at the bottom of the hill and being killed in the process :LOL:

The only way to really know is to look at old pics of Tullio Campagnolo skewers and how ever they are arranged then thats the way they should be.

Bikes come from the factory with the back wheels fitted, so in this case the person who has installed the front wheel has just matched the front and back wheel skewers.

I saw a complaint on another forum where someone was slamming Halfords because they employ young people.

My answer was that I'm glad Halfords employ young people, as there are precious few other employers doing so at the moment.

I really don't get why people are against Halfords, if you don't like them, don't use them.

dyna-ti":12safzeq said:
Mine face upward and i always make sure theyre as close to the stay or fork leg as possible,i suppose it offers some protection to anything catching on it.

This is the method I use, and was the method everyone I knew used BITD. I think the QR pointing back is a relatively modern thing. I think it looks terrible personally

So it seems the side and angle of the skewer lever is purely aesthetic and thus in no way undermines Halfords bike assembly skills thus negating the point of the original post :?

I like Halfords, they're a good source of cheap but reasonable quality stuff and still on the high street.

velomaniac":vybog432 said:
I like Halfords, they're a good source of cheap but reasonable quality stuff and still on the high street.

Plus selected branches have fantastic bargain bins where many a small retro NOS part can be found for peanuts! ;)

NeilM":3qi9pcs4 said:
I really don't get why people are against Halfords, if you don't like them, don't use them.

It was meant to be a light hearted thread, I am in no way putting them down, if I had a problem with them I wouldn't have just spent £750 there. I need to put more smiley faces in my original post.

velomaniac":3qi9pcs4 said:
So it seems the side and angle of the skewer lever

The angle was good with me

Back