Mountain Goat WTR 1990

bug7177

Retro Newbie
Having not been 'on the scene ' so to speak for a while it was refreshing to find a bunch of likeminded old gits into retro kit like me, heres a few pics of my WTR, built 1990.

Loads of trick stuff following much window shopping and excited yet smooth and effective sales patter by Andy at Sshokwave and i was like a moth to the flame.

Cooks Bros
White industries
Action Tec
Grafton
Syncros
Ringle
Chris King
XTR

Its all on there

Original orange metallic with black metallic chevrons ( forks too ) 'aghhh! was lovely looking' got changed under warranty after developing pin hole in the seat tube.

I was disappointed when the red one turned up at the shop but i grew to like the straight forward no messing about look of it.

Hope you guys do too

Regards

Paul

Attachments

• Optimized-P1000413.JPG
    Optimized-P1000413.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 706
  • Optimized-P1000417_2.JPG
    Optimized-P1000417_2.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 706
Interesting tyre combination, but otherwise that is very lovely indeed. :cool:

EDIT: Those look suspiciously like the rather rare ti stanchion Manitou, very tasty

bug7177":3gy1topl said:

Cooks Bros
White industries
Action Tec
Grafton
Syncros
Ringle
Chris King
XTR

the parts are all the creme de la creme but the tires are to me a thorn in the side :shock: ....it deserves better tires (at least the rear one) ;)

Tyres

:oops: I know, i know, the rear tyre is terrible in the pics but i had been using the bike on a turbo trainer trying to keep fit after injury.

Please forgive me.......

I'll post some new pics soon fitted with the right tyres and yes those are the Ti stanchions

Lovely looking goat :cool:

One question, are you saying they changed the seat-tube or just replaced the whole frame?

That one looks 95 to me.

Nice bike…
Are they titanium legs on your manitou fork ?

warranty question

Hi Chris,

After using the bike intensively for 18 months or so i noticed a couple of rust spots on the seat tube about midway down at the point where the wall thickness is really thin. Curiosity got the best of me and i removed the paint with my thumbnail only to find it almost went straight through, imagine how horrified i was!

Any way i contacted Andy at Sshokwave and took it in, initially it didnt look good as it was 18months old but Andy being the only importer at the time pulled some strings and spoke nicely with Jeff Linsey who agreed to send me a replacement as long as i was prepared to have a basic paint job.

I suppose i was really lucky but at £1100.00 with the forks new at 19 years old, its a big deal!

If your'e reading this Andy....Thanks!

Don't know if Tange changed the spec of the tube but this one is still fine.

Regards

I believe on the 95 frame (maybe some earlier ones too) they had drilled a hole in the bottom bracket shell to allow the water to escape.

When I recently got my 95 frame the bb was full of water but the seat tube is fine, luckily the bb was well greased as well so no rust anywhere :D

Out of curisoity what is the serial number?

No hole in the BB shell on the replacement, deffo 92 when it got swapped

I remember the year well............Greece, her name was Sarah! Lol! memories......

Back