Sectioned Rim: Wear guide

I use the flat side of a ruler to get a visual but it would be good to have some figures..

Anthony":2ds5pygm said:
Bear in mind that it was c1.7mm thick when it was new, so if it's now c1mm concave it means you've only got 0.7mm left.

Are rims standard spec in this respect or do they vary from brand/model?

Cheers

saulus":1wjgnhs5 said:
I use the flat side of a ruler to get a visual but it would be good to have some figures..

Anthony":1wjgnhs5 said:
Bear in mind that it was c1.7mm thick when it was new, so if it's now c1mm concave it means you've only got 0.7mm left.

Are rims standard spec in this respect or do they vary from brand/model?

Cheers
Some are concave from the start. Check out this profile;
http://www.araya-kk.co.jp/rim/archive/1992/01-02.htm

After breaking down my old (generally tired) front wheel today I decided to cut the rim open to have a look just how close I'd come to blowing out the rim.

It's a Mavic X618 CD, hand-built about 8 years ago, doing about 50 miles a week with a V-brake & Avid RW2 pads.

Mavic_X618CD_Wear_1.jpg

Mavic_X618CD_Wear_2.jpg

I'm pretty impressed. These rims have been the very definition of tough, and it appears they have a lot of material in them. They were the default rim for a lot of couriers at my workplace back in the early 2000s and I can see why. Even with no spokes in, and a 4" section chopped out, the old X618 rim still feels very strong.
My rear wheel has more braking surface left than this one had, and the Hope hub is still very smooth so I've decided I'm not going to break it down just yet.

618s were great -- they're essentially 517s with thicker sidewalls and double eyelets.

RobMac":988oxah6 said:
Mavic 230SBP (will I continue to use Mavic, Yes!)
IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

230's are terrible. I recently checked mine and three were cracked. Two of them didn't even have much wear.

Re:

So measuring the difference between the most worn part and the unworn part? So each side of a rim must be perfectly parallel when new? Will the gauge fit over a tyre or does the tyre have to be removed (probably depends on tyre thickness I guess)?

Back